Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This Company Is Giving Me A Smoke Sreen

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dyrbooker

Dyrbooker

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 25 December 2006 - 12:47 PM

My sisters and I recently bought the game desperate housewives and it won't run on any of our computers. I have sent several e-mails to the manufacture and I have posted some of their and my communications. Now my computer is an HP pavilion Mx703. I'm running

Windows XP
48x Speed CD rom
3000+ (2.16 GHz) AMD Athlon XP Processor
512mb DDR SDRRAM memory
120 ultra DMA hard Drive
Nividia GeForce 4mx Graphic card with 64 MB DDR shared Vidio Memory

Which I though meet the minimum requirements for the game ( the requirements for the game are in the correspondence with the company)

The game loaded on my computer just fine but, half a page of the graphics won't show, anything that moves won't show. Then when I run the game, during the introduction, it freezes on me it looks like its a graphics problem.

Out of my two sister's three other computers one that is brand new and high tech another that is a gaming computer, the game will not even start loading I think one said something about acceleration.

Anyway could someone look at this response from the company that developed the game and make some since out of it for me? I really like the show and would like to play the game.

Also I wanted to note that after my initial install and uninstall. About 2 weeks later I tried reinstalling the game and there was a patch for it. Which I ran, but it did not fix my problem. Also today 1 month later I logged onto my computer (I did not try opening the game) and a box popped up asking me if I wanted to register the game. Do they have some type of spy ware on my computer?

HERE IS THE CORRISPONDANCE

QUESTION

First the program loaded just fine. No problems. How ever when I launch the
program and am asked to create a family the little windows are there to pick
names and face for the boy and husband however the back ground is made up of a
bunch of brown random shapes and though the arrows are there for different views
of the characters there are no characters. What I'm trying to say is, there are
no graphics on that page.

Second, If I go ahead and start playing without knowing what my characters look
like, about 2 minutes into the introduction of the game, the game locks up and
I can't do anything but switch off the power to the computer.

My sister also bought this game, and though it loaded fine on her machine it
won't play. Should I tell her to take the game back to the store and return it.
Should I also take my copy back. Or can you help us get what we paid for.

RESPONSE

Thank you for writing us. This issue is normally caused when the computer system or certain parts of it do not meet the minimum specifications of the program.

Please review the following information to determine if your systems hardware is compatible with the program.

Title: DirectX Diagnostic Tool - Running DXDIAG.EXE (Windows 98/Me/XP)
URL: https://bvg.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bvg.cfg/ph...ated=1161888092

Title: Desperate Housewives: The Game Video Acceleration System Requirement Failure
URL: https://bvg.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bvg.cfg/ph...ated=1160697156

If your hardware is compatible with the program, it may be necessary to update your drivers. Please visit your computer manufacturers website for further information on updating system drivers.

If you have any additional questions, comments or concerns please do not hesitate to let me know. When writing, please include all prior correspondence in your e-mail reply. If you prefer to contact us by phone, our Customer Support team is available Monday through Friday from 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM (Pacific Standard Time):

For Sales, please call the toll free number 1-800-900-9234 (US & Canada)

For Technical support, please call the toll free number 1-800-228-0988 (Outside the US call 818-553-3909).

Sincerely,

Robert A. Taylor

Buena Vista Games

QUESTION

This is all poppycock. I have the minimum requirements in fact I have a GEforce 4 video card. the minimum requirement is a 3. I called you support center and was told that my video card is not good enough. You have a game for housewives that can not be played on the average computer and once a person opens it, It can not be returned. So how are is your company resolving these problems because I can see on the web that I am not the only person? I would like a resolution to this problem. I paid for a product which I have the minimum requirements for but sill won't run and I can't take it back.

RESPONSE

Thank you for writing us. I apologize for any confusion about the GeForce3 or equivalent specifications.

The box states a 'GeForce3 or equivalent' for the minimum specifications of video. Unfortunately this is confusing to many consumers that are new to PC's or have just purchased a new system that the clerk states will run everything. Integrated chipset solutions have been produced for many years now. These chipsets save consumers money because they are cost effective to manufacture and provide a simple one stop solution. Unfortunately, to be cost effective they must leave out hardware features that are found in a Geforce3 or equivalent video card. Integrated chipsets from Intel, VIA, S3, SiS and a few earlier models from nVidia and ATI do not support the necessary hardware transform & lighting or vertex shader acceleration that graphics intensive games require.

It gets even more confusing. The integrated chipsets support vertex shaders, but only in software coding, the integrated chipsets have Vertex Shader 2.0 and Transform and Lighting (TnL) supported in software, the system checker recognizes the accel, but also recognizes, the computer does not have the hardware accel support that the game requires.

For whatever reason, the game developer was unable to make the game work with software driven TnL or Vertex shaders. We are trying to get around this issue, but it doesn't look like they will accomplish getting it to work with these chipsets.

If upgrading your video card is not an option, we are offering to exchange the program for another Buena Vista Games title.

If you wish to exchange your program, please visit our web site at http://bvg.custhelp.com then click on the link for 'Find Answers' then the link for Buena Vista Games eCatalog. Review the titles and pick out a program that catches your eye for a like-product. Products newly released within the last 90 days are not available for exchange. If you are unsure if the product is newly released or will work with your current system configuration, please write to us with the program title, or call our Guest Services department toll free at 1-800-228-0988.

Once you have decided on the program title you would like and it has been determined to eligible, please send us the following in a padded envelope:

(a). the CD-ROM disk(s).
(:thumbsup:. the Program insert or manual (If one is available)
©. a brief letter explaining the request and the reason for exchanging the product.

The letter should include:
* Your full name and email address
* Daytime phone number with area code
* Complete street address and ZIP code (US and Canada only)
* The title of the program you would like.

Address the envelope as follows:
Buena Vista Games
ATTN: Customer Support
GID: 061210-000021
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521-9323

NOTE: You do not need to ship the entire box, only the program insert/manual and CD(s) with your letter.

Once we have received your product, we will ship the replacement via U.S. Mail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your delivery.

If you have any additional questions, comments or concerns please do not hesitate to let me know. When writing, please include all prior correspondence in your e-mail reply. If you prefer to contact us by phone, our Customer Support team is available Monday through Friday from 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM (Pacific Standard Time):

For Technical support, please call the toll free number 1-800-228-0988 (Outside the US call 818-553-3909).

Sincerely,

Claire Lutton

Buena Vista Games

https://bvg.custhelp.com

MY QUESTION

All of the titles that are on the website that you directed me to are children’s games. Is there anyway that l can swap an adult game, for an adult game. also can you answer for me, this question. If the minimum requirement for Desperate Housewives is a Gforce3 and I have a gforce4 how does my video card not meet the minimum requirement. Also in your answer you sound like you assume that I went out and bought my computer with the requirement of your game in mind and the computer salesman sold me a computer that he said would work with your game. That is not the case, and would have been stupid especially since your game will not run on most people’s computer (the average computer). lets just tell the truth you lie on the box to get me to buy your product. and for trusting your advertisement you'll give me a children’s game in exchange for a grown ups game? That is not a like trade. Where are the grown up games I don't have a 3 year old and if I did I would not have bought desperate housewives for him/her

RESPONSE

Thank you for writing.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused you.
The way NVidea designed their video cards is a little confusing, as a Geforce 3 is a better card than a Geforce 4.
I fully understand your frustration; Our game developer was unable to make the game work with software driven TnL or Vertex shaders.
Buena Vista games is part of the Walt Disney Company, it explains why most of our games are for children.
For adults, we have the "who wants to be a millionaire" programs, as well as some trivia games.

Sincerely,

Claire Lutton

Buena Vista Games

https://bvg.custhelp.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 25 December 2006 - 02:21 PM

It sounds like they are willing to work with you - it's just gonna take a bit of communications to iron it out with them.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 25 December 2006 - 03:44 PM

The crook in this drama is nVIDIA. They released the GeForce 4 MX line as a low cost line of graphics cards which doesn't use a GeForce 4 GPU, but an overclocked GeForce 2 GPU with software to emulate features of the GeForce 4 instead (like Vertex Shader 2.0 the customer support gal was talking bout). nVIDIA caught a lot of flak over this, but also made a lot of money because many bought one of these thinking they were getting an actual GeForce 3

So you do not have a GeForce 4, but a GeForce 2 and so do not meet the minimum requirements of the game.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users