Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Volume Fragmentation Not Enough Space

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nat

nat

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 25 December 2006 - 11:36 AM

Hi All

My system is running very slowly and I receive a number of error messages. Please find fragmentation info at end of this message. From previous support experience, Here is my system info!!

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name
System Manufacturer ATI___
System Model AWRDACPI
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~2533 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Award BIOS for Intel GC11010N.86A.0303.2005.1108.2057, 2005/11/08
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale South Africa
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
Time Zone South Africa Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 768.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 257.63 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.68 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

If I try to open \program\system volume info an error message reports that "Access Denied". Why is this abd can I gain access? I am the user and the administrator.

When I run Disk Cleanup I can't remove the temporary internet files despite removing them earlier only to find that they are back. The file is called content.IE5 and when trying to open the folders, report says ."....unspecified security flaw". This file currently stands at 534KB. The amoutn of contiguous (blue) files is extremly high. What are contiguous files and how do i repair them.

Windows File Protection on startup reports that for Windows to run properly... must be copied to the dll cache. I don't have the Windows XP CD-ROM, and then it tells me that the CD-ROM drive in system in not functioning.

In Sytem Devices, I have found that several drivers are not installed such as ATI SMBus, Direct memory access controller, all three Motherboards and others.

I know that I am expecting help/answers on so many problems, but if you don't ask you don't get!!

The result of Disk fragmentation: I have only displayed the volume fragmentation results as that is what Bleeping tutorial on fragmentation stated.

Volume Windows (C:)
Volume size = 9.77 GB
Cluster size = 4 KB
Used space = 8.72 GB
Free space = 1.05 GB
Percent free space = 10 %

Volume fragmentation
Total fragmentation = 11 %
File fragmentation = 20 %
Free space fragmentation = 2 %
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented
181 11 MB \System Volume Information\_restore{49DFBD68-7ACF-4BA9-A921-06BBAD5034C7}\RP189\A0061188.dll
217 24 MB \WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0\netfx.msi
256 35 MB \System Volume Information\catalog.wci\00010007.ci

Thanks
Nat

XP Professional FIrefox 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 25 December 2006 - 12:13 PM

The first step is to ensure that your system is free of malware. Try this free, online scan: http://safety.live.com/

After that post back with the results and we'll move on from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 25 December 2006 - 03:03 PM

You also need more free space for Windows to operate properly.

Try cleaning your Windows temp files.

Click the "My Computer " icon on your desktop.

Right click on your hard drive (Probably C) and choose "Properties".

Click the "Disk Cleanup" button.

After it scans and populates the list choose all of the temp file options.

Reboot and see how much space you have reclaimed.

You need at least 15% free space and 18% would be even better.

If you can't reach 15% free space reclaim space by uninstalling unused programs or save data to somewhere else.

Edited by Enthusiast, 25 December 2006 - 04:50 PM.

#4 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2006 - 06:31 PM

Ok, so my computer is malware free.

Enthusiast, I did as you reccomended, but I now have only 10% free. I ran disk frag even though I didn't have the 15% required and then i analyzed. Result was that i did not need to defrag, which I don't understand considering the 10%.

What are contiguous files?? The defrag result was mainly blue which is the contiguous files. Is this a good or bad thing. ??? It would help me to know what contiguous files actually are. The disk cleanup is now completed and all files under temp etc are gone.

How do I reclaim space by uninstalling unused programs, or rather, how do I tell which are unused, and where are they stored?

As per my previous post, any thoughts on the other matters??

Thanks
Nat

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2006 - 11:30 PM

Contiguous files are files that are physically "side by side" on your hard drive. Putting files, say for example, from one application close to one another speeds the reading by the arm in the hard drive---it does not have to waste time moving around the spinning disk looking for first one needed file then another.

Some areas to review to free up space:
1. Look for zipped files that you have extracted, but forgotten to delete the original zip.
2. Go to your Control Panel, and launch add/remove programs. Once it is populated, you can browse for unneeded programs. Note that you can sort the applications by "frequency of use" or "last date used."

Is your hard drive partitioned? The hd's size seems really inadequate:
Used space = 8.72 GB
Free space = 1.05 GB

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 01:16 AM

I think that it would be more clear to say that contiguous files are files that are complete from end to end, and not broken up into parts. All parts of the file are touching each other. It is not so important that files touch each other. So, when the drive has to access the file, it does not have to skip all over the drive looking for pieces of it. IOW, the opposite of contiguous files is fragmented files.

You cannot get into System Volume Information because that is a protected sector of your hard drive, where the System Restore files are kept. You can, however, turn off System Restore, leaving you with no protection. System Restore cannot be defragmented, and shows up as a green bar on the defrag tool. Nor can the Page File be defragmented, and it's the other green bar.

It would be a very good idea, IMHO, to burn some files to a CD or two and get more free space on your hard drive. It's always a good idea to know what's using the space, and there are programs that will give you a graphical representation of what's hogging the space, such as SpaceMonger.

And it is always necessary to back up everything that you do not want to lose. Always. There are two kinds of hard drives: those that have failed, and those that will fail.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 08:13 AM

There are two kinds of hard drives: those that have failed, and those that will fail.

Outstanding!!! Thanks Herk!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 12:52 PM

Hi, thanks alot for your reply. It so helps when people respond using layman tems!

I have checked my system info and under Hard Disk, / Disk Partitions D drive usgae 7% and C drive 85%.
Does this mean that my Hard drive is partitioned?? and if so, what does it mean and must I change it?

I think that I have deleted all zipped files but is there a way to check?

(yet!) another question. In propeties / Advance Tab, it gives you the option of Archive / Index Attributes and Compress / Encrypt Attributes. I have notice that all of my folders are on set for fast Fast Searching - allow index... Should I check the boxes for : Folder is Ready for Archiving and Compress Contents??

I also checked into System Configuration, and I noticed that a few were "Stopped" such as RPC locator, Smart Card, WMI performance adaptors, WMI Driver extentions and Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode driver framework. Should any of these by Running instead of Stopped??

Thanks so much for your help.

#9 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:06 PM

I have checked my system info and under Hard Disk, / Disk Partitions D drive usgae 7% and C drive 85%.
Does this mean that my Hard drive is partitioned?? and if so, what does it mean and must I change it?

Yes, it sounds as if you have a partition. But drive D: is probably just a storage for your operating system install files. Check the size of the partitions - D: is probably very small compared to C:.

No, you don't want to change it. Is this a laptop? Some laptops split their drives, for no apparent reason, leaving half the drive unused. If that's the case, you could use it to store data, but not programs, freeing up a lot of space on your C: drive. But if it's an OS backup, you don't want to mess with it.

#10 Constantine

Constantine

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:55 PM

Thanks herk and usama..was reading your posts. very helpful for me also.
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 10:04 PM

Some computers have hard drives that are partitioned by the computer manufacturer to have a space for a restore partition. Do not delete anything if you aren't certain of what it is with the exception that any temp file can be safely deleted.

How old is this computer? 10Gig is awful small for a hard drive nowadays.

If this is a desktop (rather than a laptop) consider adding another hard drive as a slave or secondary drive for data storage, backups and program file space.

#12 Constantine

Constantine

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 04:32 PM

I suffer many of these problems too. I have an old PIII with only 12 gigs hard drive. With the price of computers as low as it is, there is no reason for me not to upgrade..I could find a good PIV for just two or three hundred dollars..second hand of course.

(My son gets all the new stuff, so dad has to make do with second hand:()
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users