Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Traces Of Norton Left, And Now Causing Errors.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Professional

Professional

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 25 December 2006 - 03:33 AM

Hello, First of Merry Christmas to all :thumbsup: Season Greetings my fellow members! However on this happy occasion I have few computer problems :) I downloaded/installed PCTools's 'Registry Mechanic' bought and registered it a few weeks ago, but never really got a change to use it, but today I ran a Full Deep Scan, Then I Optimized my Registry and then "Compacted' it and I had to restart my computer after doing so now every now and then or when I trry to open up Registry Mechanic I get this error in asking me to locate "MSRedist.msi file" and I dont even have Norton Products installed :inlove:

I used to, but this was years ago and now im using Macfee and other applications, So can anyone please offer me any advice on to tackle this problem. Now i cant even load up Registry Mechanic, It says to locate the 'MESRedist.msi" file, which I dont even have :flowers:

Thanking You,
Pro :trumpet:
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2006 - 03:50 AM

Hello, and MERRY CHRISTMAS to you too.

Download this program:
Eusing Registry Cleaner @ http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleane...try_cleaner.htm

It's a great registry cleaner. And, by all means, use your other cleaners 1st, then use this one. Watch what it'll clean up what others leave behind.

#3 Professional

Professional
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2006 - 03:56 AM

Okay Downloading now, bad thing here; I downloaded and ran this tool called 'SymNRT removal tool' from another topic, here at BC Forums, I restarted my computer then SpyWareGuard seize to work !! SO I ran a system restore and now it also asks for the MSRedist.msi file and after canceling the search i get a "MSCOMCTL.OCX' is not registered or something.. :thumbsup:

I'll try that program not a worry. but Macfee Site Advisor says its untrusted; http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/eusing.com
Posted Image

#4 Professional

Professional
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2006 - 04:07 AM

Okay I ran like 5 checks using CCLeaner and the program you just gave me, and even re-installed SpywareGuard but still no luck, SpwywareGuard nor Registry Mechanics work! :thumbsup:

EDIT: YES!! A NEW INSTALL ON REGISTRY MECHANIC WORKED !! BUT I STILL HAVE THE SPYWAREGUARD PROBLEM.

Edited by Professional, 25 December 2006 - 04:09 AM.

Posted Image

#5 Professional

Professional
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2006 - 04:16 AM

:thumbsup: okay now somehow after doing nothing other than just clicking on spywareguard it magically works now :S I didn't do anything other run a scan using Registry Mechanic and Eusing App :D Thanks for the help Walkman !
..but can I completely remove any trace of Norton on my computer if I can? Thanks

Merry X'Mas and Happy New Year !
Posted Image

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 25 December 2006 - 05:11 AM

Check this forum topic for removing Norton.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,750 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:56 AM

Since we are talking about registry tools and making changes to your registry I must add this note of caution:

Always back up your registry before making any changes. If you are not familiar with working in the registry, then you should NOT attempt to make any changes on your own. Improper changes to the registry could adversely affect your computer and render it inoperable.

ERUNT is an excellent FREE tool that allows you to to take a snapshot (backup) of your registry before making changes and restore it when needed.

I have read that if you insert your old NAV disk and navigate to the location of MSRedist.msi that should fix the problem. MSRedist.msi can be found on the disk under /support/redist/

Let the Windows Installer find the MSI files it is looking for in that location and see if doing this fixes the problem.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 qrius2noall

qrius2noall

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 26 December 2006 - 03:15 PM

SEASONS SALUTATIONS TO EVERYBODY AROUND BC

Leftovers from SYMANTEC-itoo have something like this:

Symantec LIC NET CONNECT SERVICE(ccSvcHst.exe/h cc Common),suddenly popped up oneday in
msconfig/startup ,after i had uninstalled NORTON INTERNET SECURITY 2006

tried to remove from C BUT CAN'T SEEM TO BE ABLE TO,ASthe message from windows says
it cannot be removed(for the time being i have disabled it in msconfig/startup

just want to know what exactly is this? should it be removed from registry or not

Any help will be appreciated

CHEERS

#9 Professional

Professional
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 07:30 PM

quietman7, I don't have Norton CDs with me right now, I never liked Norton in the first place, so I just uninstalled and installed Macfee (not the best of choice, I know) but however I have no idea where I put the NAV Cds, maybe threw them away cause it's one year subscription expired in 2004 I think.
Posted Image

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,750 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:45 PM

You can always contact Symantec Tech/Customer Support and inquire if they have a solution to resolve this particular issue.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#11 Professional

Professional
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 09:40 PM

I looked around the self-help questions and the auto-fix but most of the links required me to pick my product, which i dont even have :thumbsup: but oh well, i don get that error anymore, so maybe its not a problem. thanks alot guys. appreciate the help :D
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users