Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Convert Mpg To Svi

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 J_pyro_C

J_pyro_C

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 24 December 2006 - 07:41 PM

hey,

well i just got this new video mp3 player but it only plays svi format and i have a couple videos on my comp that are mpg.....so i need to know how to convert mpg to svi.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 24 December 2006 - 10:50 PM

There is no need to do that.

Download the FREE VideoLan. http://www.videolan.org

It'll play almost any format. If that's all you really want to do (just play the mpg files), then VideoLan will do it for you.

But, to answer your question:
The Samsung Media Studio will convert almost anything that you currently have supported codecs installed for. For example, if the video file you have will only convert video, and not audio...this is likely because you do not have the required codec to play back to audio on your computer...and vice versa.

Edited by Walkman, 24 December 2006 - 10:52 PM.

#3 J_pyro_C

J_pyro_C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2006 - 07:32 PM

No i can play it.....just cant play it on my mp3 player....anywayz where might i get samsung media studio?

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2006 - 11:03 PM

VideoLan will do it.

Download it. http://www.videolan.org

#5 J_pyro_C

J_pyro_C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 01:26 AM

i cant seem to find out how to convert the mpg to svi on it......or are you saying that video lan will play mpg? because i can play mpg on my computer already......just cant play mpg on my mp3 player because my mp3 player only plays the .svi format...... so i need to convert those mpg to svi so i can play them on my mp3 player. so does anyone know of any programs that convert mpg to svi? or does anyone know where to get samsung media studio?

Edited by J_pyro_C, 27 December 2006 - 01:33 AM.

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:01 AM

Question 1. Are you sure you have all the codes to play that mpg in your mp3 player?

Also, your mp3 player would be for (audio sound) and your mpg player would be for (video AND sound).

Question 2. Are you trying to play just the audio from the mpg file into your mp3 player?

Question 3. Are you trying to convert the mpg to play on an iPod or something else, like a cell phone or such?

VideoLan will play .mpg files. That must mean you haven't tried it out yet, which may mean that you'll probably have more questions if you don't try it.

Also, .SVI format is used for speech dictation.

You can seperate the sound from any .MPG file and save it in a format so you can play it in any mp3 player.

I've also done some researching on that extension (.SVI), and it seems like you may have a file format that isn't well into every companies' grasp right now, so converting it to a form other than .SVI may be your best bet for now, if your player will allow it to play.

Also, if it's an mp3 player, it should play your file, but convert it to mp3, and not .svi.

#7 J_pyro_C

J_pyro_C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:38 AM

Do you know what i mean by MP3 player? i don't mean a program or application. its a device.

Q1: No it wont play anything but .svi videos (.svi is Samsung's version of .avi)
Q2:No i want to play the video too.
Q3:Yes. im trying to convert it so i can put it on my Samsung T9 MP3 player.It plays MP3s and most other types of audio and it plays .SVI for video and thats the only video it will play.

And btw: i did try VideoLan and it played it but im wanting to play it on the MP3 player.(Samsung T9)

Edited by J_pyro_C, 27 December 2006 - 02:39 AM.

#8 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 03:06 AM

You wrote:

Do you know what i mean by MP3 player? i don't mean a program or application. its a device.

In this technical world, an mp3 player is either a device or software. You never mentioned which of the two you were referring to.

You wrote:

Q1: No it wont play anything but .svi videos (.svi is Samsung's version of .avi

Then you will need to convert all of your .avi .mpg and other formats to .svi to play in that player. And that also mean that you need to have a very versatile piece of software to convert different formats into .svi.

Try the Samsung Media Studio.
Do a search on samsung media studio download and it'll bring some results.

#9 J_pyro_C

J_pyro_C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 03:09 AM

ok....and where might i get the codecs for it?

oh and sorry for not being specific enough...

much thanks,
Josh

Edited by J_pyro_C, 27 December 2006 - 03:10 AM.

#10 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 03:20 AM

I would image that the Samsung would have it built in the program to convert to .svi format.

You can also download codecs from FREE Codecs http://www.free-codecs.com

#11 J_pyro_C

J_pyro_C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 03:34 AM

ok and wouldn't ya know it my mp3 player came with Samsung Media Studio :thumbsup: i just couldn't find it in he box(it was hidden in this weird box on the side of the box....:flowers:

#12 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 03:44 AM

Cool,

Now go and do some converting. Let us know how it comes out.

#13 J_pyro_C

J_pyro_C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 03:59 AM

ok i converted the files and put them on the mp3 player and it accually shows up but when i try play them it says this file is an unsupported type.

#14 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:21 AM

You either need codecs or the file may have been originally compiled using non-traditional methods.

Go to the FREE Codecs web site and see if there are codecs for that file type.

Which formats does your program convert from?

#15 J_pyro_C

J_pyro_C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:29 AM

ok sorry i made a mistake i got it working this is what my mistake was:

When converting it brings up a window where you choose the model number of your mp3 player and well the model number of my mp3 player is YP-T9 and i accidentally chose YP-T8 and that was the problem so after that i just re converted the files with the model number YP-T9 and everything works Fine....

Much Thanks,
Josh

Edited by J_pyro_C, 27 December 2006 - 04:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users