Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Boot In Xp

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 24 December 2006 - 05:02 PM

Hello..
I wasn't able to boot into safe mode, so I did msconfig and ticked Boot.ini /SAFEBOOT MINIMAL radiobutton in.
Since then, when computer starts up, I see Win. welcome screen and then everything stays black.. No reaction what ever..
I have to mention that I have Nero 6 Ultra Edition installed on that machine, and I've heard of conflict with safe mode but I didn't uninstall it thinking if I did what I did it would overwritte Nero's conflict.
Before I did that I switched System Restore off (because I wanted to run spyware/antivius scan) so now I can't startup with last good configuration.. :thumbsup:
Is there any way to get my Windows working again?
Thanks for your help in advance.. :flowers:
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 24 December 2006 - 09:35 PM

Hi Notorious. About the only thing you can do now is to boot to Recovery Console from the XP CD and edit the boot.ini file directly and take the /SAFEBOOT switch out of the boot line.

Also, System Restore does not need to be turned off to run a virus check. The only time you would want to turn System Restore off is to clear all restore points and then you would turn it back on immediately afterward to create a new restore point.

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#3 Notorious

Notorious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2006 - 07:10 AM

Hi Oldtimer.. :flowers:
Thank you for your answer.. Well I have it working again..
What I did was, bootcfg /rebuild and made new boot.. From there I could startup and change everything back to normal..
Reason for switching System Restore off was AVG AntiSpyware suggestion to do so.
What I still don't understand is how can Nero prevent machine to startup in safe mode.. Looks to me like serious bug.. :thumbsup:
Thanks again, and happy holidays.. :trumpet:
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#4 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2006 - 01:45 PM

You are welcome Notorious. The problem is the Nero InCD program. If you disable it then you should be able to boot to Safe Mode without a problem. According to Nero, this is a known issue. Depending on your version of Nero there might be an update available that fixes this problem.

As for turning off System Restore, I would not recommend it especially when doing any kind of scan that might remove system files and/or change system settings. If the scan removes something you need, well you know what will happen....

Just leave System Restore on and do the scan. If AVG finds anything in the restore points it will clean them. I think they tell you to do that so the scan will not take as long because the scanner doesn't need to go through all of the backed up data. In my opinion, it is worth the wait.

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2006 - 02:48 PM

The only time to shut system restore off is AFTER removing viruses or other malware and only then if you are certain that your entire system is malware free and functioning properly. You then shut system restore off which clears all saved restore points and then turn it back on to create a new one that will then be malware free.

It also doesn't hurt to use a program like Erunt to create and store copies of the registry separate from System Restore.

ERUNT Registry Emergency Recovery Utility
Registry Backup and Restore for Windows NT/2000/2003/XP
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

or
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2006 - 03:41 PM

FYI - malware cannot spawn spontaneously from an infected System Restore point. You have to actually do a restore before any malware in that point can do any damage.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Notorious

Notorious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2006 - 07:10 PM

Thanks for heads up you guy's.. I sure do appreciate your advices..
And thanks for ERUNT link Enthusiast.. I'll sure check this baby out.. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users