Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Start Up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sarah Ocean

Sarah Ocean

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 24 December 2006 - 05:00 PM

Hello, I'm a newbie. I've searched the forums and I can't seem to find anything that will help my start up. I've run Spybot, Windows defender, Stinger. and I've even taken things off with the hi jack this. Can anyone look at my hijack log and tell me what else needs to be taken off? Would Morpheus create this kind of problem? Please help. Thank you. Sarah.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 25 December 2006 - 04:40 AM

Is Morpheus set to run at system login? If so, change the settings so it doesn't run at login, reboot and see if this helps. If it doesn't then at least you know it isn't Morpheus. Under preferences uncheck Run Morpheus on Windows startup.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 26 December 2006 - 08:32 AM

Here are three possible suggestions to follow. Pick and choose what you need. Good luck.

http://www.pc-speed-up.com/speed_up_windows_startup.html

http://computercleanup.blogspot.com/

http://www.netsquirrel.com/msconfig/

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:22 AM

If your computer seems to be slow, read "Slow Computer Checklist" and "Restore Your Computer's Performance with Windows XP".
There are reasons for slowness besides malware - i.e. disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, too many startup programs, unnecessary services running, not enough RAM, etc. As your system gets older it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down so regular maintenance is essential.

Check for any unnecessary applications loading at startup when Windows boots with MSConfig. Some startup programs are necessary so be careful what you disable. If you are unsure what any of the startup entries are or if they are safe to disable, then search one of the following Startup Databases:
Startup Programs Database
StartupList Index

Note: MSConfig.exe is a troubleshooting utility used to diagnose system configuration issues. Although it works as a basic startup manager which allows you to enable/disable auto-start programs, msconfig should not be used routinely to disable startup programs.

A better alternative is to use a startup manager. If you have have Spybot S&D 1.4 installed, launch it, go to Mode and select Advanced. Then go to Tools, select System Startups. You will be provided with a list of programs that load when Windows starts. If you untick an entry it will no longer run at startup. This will allow you to experiment and see how your system performs with any of them disabled. Other startup managers you can download and use for free are Startup Control Panel, Autoruns and Starter by CodeStuff.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users