Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scanning A Chart Into Excel To Adjust Numbers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bamamcall

Bamamcall

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 24 December 2006 - 03:42 PM

I have a chart I need to import into excel to adjust the numbers. It looks like it was built by excel early on and graphics of the company name and other things written on it. How I import it from a neat receipts scanner into excel so I can change the numbers. I can upload the image if needed. I really don't know what to ask so if you could post some questions it would make my questions more exact. Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2006 - 02:46 AM

Generally, a chart is created by the data in the spreadsheet, so I think that what you want to do is to update the spreadsheet, which will update the chart.
Now if the chart is something different---say from a Powerpoint presentation, you can certainly import it, but you will not be able to change it.
It would help if you can tell us precisely what file type the chart is, and where you found it. What kind of changes do you want to make in the chart?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Bamamcall

Bamamcall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 11:24 PM

It is a chart a scanned into my cpu thru neatreceipts. I can turn it into a number of different files. Neat Receipts has excel capability I just haven't figured it out yet. It is a scale chart with all the boxes in it like a spreadsheet with. What I want to do is put it in excel and change the values in each of the boxes so I can update it when needed. I know I am not being clear but I am trying. Also the chart is large legal size layout.

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:32 AM

If I may.......

Are you wanting to take the scanned picture, with the text (figures) on it, and use it in Excel? If so, you'll need to scan the image at 300 dpi+. You can scan it at higher resolutions, but 300 dpi's HAVE TO BE the minimun in order to grab the text off of ANY image.

Images of that sort are best saved as .pcx. If you take a screen shot or scan an image that has words/numbers/tables/ on them and you want to use them on your Excel or any other computer program, just scan them in 300 dpi's, and make sure they're saved as .pcx.

But remember this:
If the scanned image you're trying to scan was originally scanned at less than 300 dpi's, your OCR software (Optical Character Recogintion) may not recognize all of the characters it needs to, and giving you not-so-good results/conversions.

======================================================================

If you have MS Word or other software, you can scan the data that's on that piece of paper into the program, and then alter the words/images and so forth that is on that piece of paper.... but it's scanned into the computer. It MUST BE 300 dpi's....... or better to work. NO exceptions at all.

Many scanners come with ocr programs. But I must admit, the one's I've installed, they were all limited in their usage. I guess they were all trials, or scaled-down versions of the software. But if you can get a hold on Read Iris, get it. Actually from version 6 and up, are all good. Anyone of them will do you good. Although I must admit that version 10 has some nice features I like, and I'm glad to see they are now implemented into this version I'm using (version 10).

If you want to scan characters the way you see it on paper, but you want to manipulate it by the computer, you can do so. You can even change the image of the scanned paper to an image you want in it's place.

=====================================================================
Now........... converting and importing it into Excel is something much more sophisticated. You will need to set up fields and such. Also, depending on the layout of the scanned image, you may be able to import the whole file into Excel, and have all the data going into different fields, duplicating the paper image.

If you can post an edited edition of your image, or some actual parts of the scan, it may be possible for you to be able to exactly duplicate the image (text and image), but it'll be in text form, so you can edit it.

Also, even if you want it to go into Excel, it may not go into the program immdiately, so you'll have to convert it, before importing/opening it with Excel.

=====================================================================
If you have to scan the legal size paper with a flat-bed scanner, you'll probably have to do it in 2 scans per sheet. Just overlap the 2nd image scan to make one image when combining it with the 1st part of the image.

Hope this helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users