Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Happened To My Cd Player

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jim416

jim416

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 24 December 2006 - 02:49 PM

I start my computer and usually a little light twinkles showing my CD player is starting up. The tray will not even open when I press the button. When I go to MY COMPUTER I see the LOCAL DISK © icon, but no CD icon?

Where'd it go?

And Merry Christmas to all here.
"The Ghosts of Vietnam" is here. Visit my website at www.geocities.com/militarypoliceofvietnam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 26 December 2006 - 03:21 PM

Go into your Device Manager, and delete the cd drive from there. Then reboot.

If that doesn't help, then it may be time to open the computer case and disconnect the cd drive cable from the drive. Then boot up. Also, check your B.I.O.S. and make sure that there are no cd roms listed as being recognized.

After you boot up, make sure it's not listed in the Device Manager. After everything checks out, power down the computer, plug the cable back into the cd drive. Then power up...... but go DIRECTLY (usually the F2 key, or it could be the DEL key.) into your BIOS.

When in the BIOS, make sure that you can see your cd-rom listed. After that checks out, just continue with the boot up process. After it boots up, Windows should now detect that you've installed a piece of hardware and will attempt to find the drivers for it. Either way it goes, if you have the disc for the drive, install the drivers from the disc.

You can always update the drivers later, but first, you just want it operational from the factory install.

Edited by Walkman, 26 December 2006 - 03:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users