Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Can't Find System Information

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 24 December 2006 - 11:31 AM

WindowsXP Home / SP2

When I go to start/programs/accessories/system tools all items open except system info. When I click on system information it just kicks back to my desktop. I also tried right-clicking then open but still nothing. The tower light doesn't come on indicating any activity.

Someone suggested that I do - start/run then type in msinfo32.exe but still nothing happened. I've never used it before so I can't really say how long it's been that way. I hope I've given enough information. - Keith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2006 - 12:24 PM

When I click on system tools it takes me to Windows help and support center and from there I can system info on my Dell Computer. There is also a direct link to the Help and support center in my start list. If you need info on your computer and are unable to use or to find the Windows help and support center here is a link to a great tool for finding info on your hardware and software and other useful info.
http://www.gtopala.com/

Edited by buddy215, 24 December 2006 - 12:25 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2006 - 01:38 PM

Thanks for the reply buddy215. Actually when I tried clicking on system tools the box that came up only showed Internet Explorer. I'm sure I can find the help and support elsewhere on my computer. Also thanks for the link, I've saved it in a folder in case I need it. - Keith

#4 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 24 December 2006 - 04:46 PM

Where Is Msinfo32.exe, and how do I get it back?
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#5 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2006 - 11:19 AM

Thank you very much for the link - Keith

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2006 - 05:22 PM

Try Kellys Korner - 231 on the right side.

Restore System Information (Msinfo32)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

#7 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:19 AM

Thanks for the info - I'll try that and let you know if it helped - Keith

#8 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:46 AM

Just real quickly, should that have read 221 on the right? Thanks

#9 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 01:39 PM

Ok.... I did the restore system information thing. It showed that it added something to the registry. But I still can't get system information under system tools. When I click on it now the tower light stays on for 10-15 seconds like it's searching but then nothing. - Keith

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 07:49 AM

Try this free online scan on your system to double check your protection: http://safety.live.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 01:08 PM

I ran the scan and let it fix what items it found - nothing major. I still can't get into system information. Had a thought here......... I've run Regscrubxp and Easycleaner within the past 6 months. Could I have inadvertantly deleted something in the registry that "led" to system information? Keith

#12 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 09:55 PM

Could I have inadvertantly deleted something in the registry that "led" to system information?

Yes, you could have. Registry cleaners are notorious for deleting important things. I've had to reload operating systems when using them.

Have you tried running the System File Checker? Go to Start -> Run and type in:

cmd

. . . and hit enter. Then, in the resulting DOS emulator box, type:

sfc /scannow

It's a good idea to have the XP installation disk in the drive if you have one. Windows will search for missing files and replace them either from the disk or from the emm386 folder.

#13 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:10 PM

Herk I don't have the disk. When I try to run it I get a message - - INSERT YOUR WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL SERVICE PACK 2 CD NOW.

Actually I use XP Home with SP2. Any way around this to run the scan? - thanks - Keith

Just an afterthought - My computer is a custom build which retained the hard drive from my original E-Machines computer to "keep the windows liscense". I did find two restore cd's - from the original E-Machines computer ( about 5 years ago ) but that was well before SP2

Edited by Keith1, 28 December 2006 - 11:16 PM.

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:45 PM

Is either of the disks Pro or Media Center Edition? If so, they may be what you'll need. BUT, you'll need to slipstream SP2 into them in order to get it to work. http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windo..._slipstream.asp
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 04:09 PM

All I know about the disks is that they say restore cd ( disk 1 and 2 ). It also says they can be used on E-machines only. To be perfectly honest, at this point I don't know if it's worth saving all the "stuff" from my computer and starting over ( which I'm not comfortable with doing ) I can live without the system information option if need be.

Thank you so much for all your help. Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users