Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Move .avi Files That Are Locked

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 24 December 2006 - 08:29 AM

Hello all,

I've always had a problem with moving my .avi files to other folders, because I'm always getting an error that the file is either in use by another program or something else. Then I started using Unlocker http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/ (great program), and it's made moving .avi files from folder to folder a breeze. If you don't have Unlocker, get it.

But this post isn't about Unlocker, it's about a way that I've accidentally found out how to move those locked .avi files without any software intervention. This is very simple, and it's has worked 100% of the time, now I that I know what I did to make them move.

1. The file in which you want to move you, just highlight and hold it at the same time. DO NOT let go of the mouse button. Count to 10.

2. While still holding the file, and after counting to 10, drag the file to the folder where you want it to go. DO NOT let go of the mouse button. Basically, you're hovering the file over the folder want it to go to. While it's hovered over the folder you want it to go to, and you're still holding on to that file, just count to 10, and let go of the mouse button, and that file will(should) have moved to that new folder/location.

I'm not sure the reason this works, but I noticed that by delaying the time to quickly drag/drop the .avi file from folder to folder makes it work. But if I just took the file and dragged it to the folder I want it to go to, it always gives errors. I just discovered this proven method last night/today, and it's been a 100% success for my .avi files.

I don't have problems moving any other file extension. Just .AVI files. And I'm sure many of you .avi file users have this problem. This method may work with other file types, but I don't know, because I have no problems with other file types.

I Hope this help you out!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 25 December 2006 - 07:05 AM

Just a wild guess why holding the mouse works... it could be because it normally takes a few seconds to bring up the properties of an avi file or sometimes even to open it to play. So that delay is giving Windows the "time it takes" to grab what it needs to allow it to be moved.

Here's a registry fix too.

AVI Registry Fix - Registry Fix
Opening a folder containing a large number of AVI file can open quite slowly because Windows has to open each AVI file and extract various information from them. If you have a large collection, you can speedup XP's folder access to blocking it from automatically extracting this info. This can also fix problems when trying to rename or move AVI files and you get an error message: "it is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again."

Instructions - Download and run the Registry Fix.
http://home.comcast.net/~optimizexp/Files/...egistry_Fix.zip

Notes - You will no longer have the second page of properties in windows explorer displaying the AVI file information such as width, height and bitrate. Other software such as GSpot can provide you with this information.

I use Media Player Classic and the avi information still displays in the properties, in the player, when I open the .avi from there.

#3 Walkman

Walkman
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 25 December 2006 - 01:04 PM

This program may work wonders and eliminate that problem, but the way I've discovered doesn't require anyone to download and install anything. That's my point. Moving those files without any software intervention.

Total time is about 20 seconds to move the files from one location to another. I can wait that out. Besides, I still want to have all the available information about the file there for me, if needed.

Also, in the future when posting software for others to download, always post a link where people can read about the software, if possible. I don't like clicking on links to direct downloads unless I know the source posting or the target given. No offense.

If you can post a link to the software, that will be greatly appreciated, because I just did a search on AVI Registry Fix, and not one of the results description said anything about moving files. They all mentioned the fact about not being able to play the files, which is never my situation.

But anyway, there shouldn't have to be any software intervention to move any files from folder to folder, no matter what file it is within you operating system.

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:09 AM

Sorry, I found the zip file at this link. Scroll down about half way to #10.

This hint and others are on this page:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/OptimizeXP.html

It's just a registry file already made up, not software. One can make their own and merge it by creating it themselves with these two lines.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}]

Here is the entire text relating to it:

10. Disable AVI Previewing - Download
Opening a folder containing a large number of AVI files can open quite slowly because Windows has to open each AVI file and extract information from them. If you have a large collection, you can speedup XP's folder access by disabling it from automatically extracting this info. This can also fix problems when trying to rename or move AVI files and you get an error message: "it is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again."

Instructions - Download, unzip and run the "Disable AVI Previewing.reg" file and reboot.

Notes - You will no longer have the second page of properties in windows explorer displaying the AVI file information such as width, height and bitrate. Other software such as GSpot can provide you with this information.

Edited by mommabear, 27 December 2006 - 09:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users