Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Icons In Network Neighborhood

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lynx560

Lynx560

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 24 December 2006 - 07:09 AM

I have three Win98SE computers connected together over a Linksys Wireless system. For some reason, on two of the computers I can see the icons from the other computers in Network Neighborhood, but on the third computer the icons are missing. The connection between the three is good as I can ping between all of them. I can also "find" the other computers on the computer that has no icons (it opens in a new window).
I have tried to uninstall & reinstall "Client for Microsoft Networks" & "File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks" but to no avail.... the icons are still missing.
Also; the workgroup name is the same in all three computers.

I know Ive done something wrong, but for the life of me I have no idea what it is or how to fix it. :thumbsup:
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 24 December 2006 - 01:03 PM

If I understand correctly, there's three systems. Two show up in Network Neighborhood but one does not.
The workgroup name is the same on all. Capitalization matters. The workgroup name is case sensitive.
I assume all three computer names are different and that you get the network login prompt on startup.

Do you have anything shared on the computer that is not showing up?
It wont appear in Network Neighborhood unless there is something to see.
You have to share something.

Are you running NetBEUI on all three or just TCP/IP?
I like the NetBEUI protocol the best for 98.
It is tried and true and always works!

Also, make sure that you dont have a firewall that might be blocking connectivity.
I have seen Zone ALarm do that on occasion

If that doesnt help, try disabling the browse master on the third system and reboot it.
But only if all else fails.

Edited by Eyesee, 24 December 2006 - 07:23 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Lynx560

Lynx560
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 25 December 2006 - 09:37 AM

THATS IT !!!

Thank you so very much Eyesee !!! I knew it had to be something simple but I just didnt see it. All I did was to make a shared folder on each computer & there they (the icons) were.

Ok... now I feel really dumb. That was way too simple. And I thought I was fairly computer savy...
I am humbled...

Thanks again Eyesee & a Merry Xmas to ya !!!

Edited by Lynx560, 25 December 2006 - 09:37 AM.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 25 December 2006 - 11:39 AM

Its easily overlooked. Glad it was simple

Merry Xmas to you too!
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users