Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Startup Is Just Plain Wrong

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bigbadbernie

bigbadbernie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 24 December 2006 - 04:36 AM

Hello, i dont know if i am posting in the right place so forgive me if this is annoying

I am having the following problem (with my computer) and wanted to know if anyone knows how to help

I was recently browsing on the net when a popup came up and my computer started getting new stuff on the desktop. I immediately shut the window (on the computer) and deleted the stuff from the desktop. My computer then crashed.

When i restarted, there were many error messages, one to do with kernels1118 i think and after getting rid of these then i got to the desktop.

The desktop then kept refreshing as if it crashed and restarted (with less icons in the bottom right hand corner) and it kept doing this until the computer just crashed. When i checked the task menu then i saw "winoldap" reloading again and again for every time the desktop refreshed.

I browsed the net (on another computer) and i changed the name of "Winoa386" in window/system and now winoldap doesn't keep trying to reload on the task menu but the screen does keep refreshing until the computer gives up.

I have been told to run anti-malware on the computer but i cannot as the only way i can use the comp is by going into safe mode and i cannot go on to the internet or use the cd-rom whilst the computer is in safe mode.

I have tried to do a step by step confirmation but i dont know what i am meant to be confirming or not....

If you are still with me you are doing well and have the patience of a very patient person.

As you have probably realised I need help.

So in summary, my desktop keeps refreshing and i dont know what to do now.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks for reading
Bernie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 24 December 2006 - 07:33 AM

What kind of Safety do you have on your infected computer

What I would do is the following :

via another computer
Download both AVG Antivirus- and AVG Anti Spyware free including the latest updates/ For The Links please check my sig

Download Superantispyware here including latest updates

Download Winsockfix here

Download and update Ccleaner

Install and run all the programs either via memorystick or cd in the following sequence

1) AVG Antivirus
2) AVG Antispyware
3) Superantispyware

4) Ccleaner
After installing and updating go to options - advanced and tick prompt for registry back ups
Now Start up in safe mode
Do two runs

1) Click on problems and tick all. Click on analyse. At the end you will be prompted for storing a backup.
This will be stored, as a default, in My documents.
2) Click on cleaner click on analyse and accept all files to be removed.
If possible burn these files on a c d or memorystick and install and run them.

5)Winsockfix

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 24 December 2006 - 01:20 PM

You are definitely infected with something!

AVG AntiMalware (formerly Ewindo) and Winsockfix only work with XP.
I assume you are running 98 or ME because of the forum you posted in.

Get AVG Free Edititon free.grisoft.com
A-Squared www.emsisoft.com
Ad Aware http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
and Spybot Search and Destroy http://www.safer-networking.org/

You could boot Safe Mode with Network Support to access and download these but you probably wont be able to install them in Safe Mode. However, you DO want to run them in Safe Mode.

Your best bet might be this:
On another computer download, install, update and run all of the above to make sure it is clean.
It doesnt matter if the other computer is running 98 or XP.
Remove the hard drive from the infected one. Disonnect the cdrom drive(s) from the other computer and connect your hard drive in its place. That way you wont have to change any jumpers.
Then you can scan and clean your hard drive from the other system. I have to do this sometimes.

Run all programs multiple times until all report the drive clean.

Edited by Eyesee, 24 December 2006 - 07:43 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 25 December 2006 - 06:51 AM

WinSockFix will work on all OS.

Edited by mommabear, 25 December 2006 - 06:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users