Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Could Not Be "written" Errors...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 cacfai

cacfai

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 24 December 2006 - 03:21 AM

I tried using the search feature before posting this, but it wasn't very much help.

My problem is this, whenever I try to right-click on anything in Windows Explorer - be it pictures, MP3s, videos, etc. - I get errors like this and this.

I can right-click in a blank space, no problem. Just not on any files or folders.

It also happens when I try to delete a file, whether I do it by pressing the Delete key on my keyboard, or by clicking 'Delete this file' in the task pane.

I used to get errors sometimes after closing IE pages, but those seem to have stopped. However, recently, I've been getting them while running applications like Photoshop.

I've read everything I could find about why this is happening. A lot of people seem to encounter this problem after installing SP2, or some other program. I've had SP2 on my computer since I bought it almost a year ago, and I haven't installed any other programs recently. I just randomly started getting these errors one day.

The only thing I can remember doing right before the error messages began to occur was running Disk Defragmenter.

I also read that it may have something to do with my folders being in thumbnail view, but a lot of them aren't.

Can someone please help?

If you need any more information, ask.

Edited by cacfai, 24 December 2006 - 03:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 24 December 2006 - 08:12 AM

These kinds of errors can be caused by a virus infection. Scan with everything you've got and then maybe post a HJT log.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 cacfai

cacfai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2006 - 12:19 AM

UPDATE: Okay, I've posted on these forums before about a problem I was having with Dr. Watson Post Mortem Debugger errors. The person that helped me instructed me to delete a key from the registry.
I suspected that this might have been the cause for these new errors that I'm getting, so I restored the back-up registry key I'd made, and now the memory written/read errors seem to have stopped.

Trouble is, now I'm back to where I started, getting Dr. Watson errors in place of the memory ones.

Someone please help, this is incredibly frustrating.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2006 - 12:57 AM

cacfai,

I have split off your HJT Log. You can find the log following this link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/76074/memory-could-not-be-written-errors/

Since you have posted a log I will close this thread. Doing any changes or modifications to your system while waiting for a log to be examined renders that log useless. Please wait till your log has been cleared by one of our HJT Techs. If your Log is cleared, PM one of the staff members to re-open this thread. Thank You for your understanding.

Regards,
Animal, Forum Moderator

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users