Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring Music/pictures To A New Pc

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jacxk

jacxk

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 24 December 2006 - 02:29 AM

I'm not sure if this would be the right place to post this and if it's not, I'm sorry, but...

I'm getting a new computer, and I'd like to transfer all of my music and pictures from this one to the new one. I was thinking a flash drive, but I've heard they have problems with reading/writing the information. One of my friends also told me to just upload all of it, but I just found out not long ago that I can't make zip files because of the lack of space, and even if I could, I don't think my computer would function right and actually finish uploading them. So I've basically run out of options, if there's any programs or something that could do this, I'd be grateful if you let me know.
thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 24 December 2006 - 07:47 AM

When you a usb connection on your PC take a memorystick they costs about USD. 25 for 1 GB

If you have a CD/DVD writer burn everything on media which is the cheap[er solution. Uploading will take ages on the internet

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2006 - 12:39 PM

It would probably be a good idea to transfer your music and especially your pictures to CD; this might take longer, but as an extra bonus,you would have them backed up in case of computer problems in the future.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 jacxk

jacxk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2006 - 02:04 PM

well, I would but I don't have a Cd burner on this computer.

and is there a difference between Memory Sticks and Flashdrives?
My sister just got a flash drive for christmas from her boyfriend and I could probably use that if they're rewriteable.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 25 December 2006 - 01:52 AM

You would use a flash drive to transfer data. They work on any USB port. Memory sticks are typically found in camera's.

Yes you could use the flash drive to transfer the information, it is similar to you hdd in the sense that you can add and delete information from it.

If your new computer is going to have a CD or DVD-RW combo you might consider installing it in your old machine to copy the files and then reinstall it in you new machine. There is a big difference in the capacity of a CD and a DVD, a CD has 700MB where a DVD has 4.7GB.

Which ever means that you use check the size of the files that you are transferring so that you don't exceed the capacity of the transfer media.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Professional

Professional

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2006 - 04:30 AM

IF you have a USB port, Just get your hands on a 1GB or 2GB or 5GB+ (Depending on amount of files you have) and put it all on that and transfer it to your new computer, or just buy a 1GB USB Drive and make three-four trips,

Merry X'mas and a Happy New Year !
Posted Image

#7 jacxk

jacxk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2006 - 11:04 AM

ok, I think I'm going to see if I can use the flashdrive.
Thank you for your help.

Merry Christmas!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users