Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Lock

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 allen9258

allen9258

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:13 PM

I HAVE A DELL COMPUTER WITH WIN 2000 AS IT OPERATING SYSTEM AND I GOT IT FROM A FRIEND, IT IS A DELL OPTIPLEX GX 110 THAT HE HAD GOTTEN FROM A FAMILY MEMBER THAT IS NOW DECEASED AND IT HAS A SECURITY PASSWORD TO WHERE I CAN'T GET ACCESS TO THE SYSTEM TO WHERE I CAN LATTER UP GRADE THE WIN 2000 TO WIN XP BUT THIS SMALL ISSUE IS HOLDING M BACK CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 01:09 PM

Ok. If I understand you, you are trying to upgrade a Windows 2000 Pro operating system to XP? You cannot do this because you do not have the administrator's password, correct? You are using an XP upgrade version to accomplish this?
First thing is we do not discuss defeating security. That includes circumvention passwords. Sorry.
Second. If you have not purchased your XP disk do not buy an upgrade version, or XP Home. XP Home is no longer supported (as of 10\5\2006), by Microsoft. If you do install XP install XP Professional. The problem with the upgrade version is when you have to reinstall it. If you have to preform a clean install you will need your Windows 2000 disks. Without them you would not be able to reinstall the upgrade version.
Personally I would install W2000 Pro on that machine. It is lighter on resources and is as stable a XP. I had XP on two of my computers and when I had to reinstall the OS I went back to W2k.
This is just something to consider.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 allen9258

allen9258
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 04:02 PM

I DON'T THINK THAT YOU UNDERSTAND WIN 2000 PRO IS ALREADY INSTALLED ON THE COMPUTER BUT TO GET TO IT IT IS PASSWORD PROTECTED AND THIS IS THE ONLY PROBLEM THAT I AM HAVING WITH THIS COMPUTER IF I CAN GET PASS THIS POINT I WOULD, MAYBE KEEP THE OPERATING SYSTEM JUST AS IT IS, THE ONLY REASON THAT I AM CONSIDERING CHANGING IS BECAUSE I CAN'T GET PASS THE PASSWORD ENTRY SO THAT I CAN GET TO THE START SCREEN THIS IS THE ONLY REASON THAT I AM CONSIDERING CHANGING TO WIN XP

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 07:42 PM

I DON'T THINK THAT YOU UNDERSTAND WIN 2000 PRO IS ALREADY INSTALLED ON THE COMPUTER BUT TO GET TO IT IT IS PASSWORD PROTECTED AND THIS IS THE ONLY PROBLEM THAT I AM HAVING WITH THIS COMPUTER IF I CAN GET PASS THIS POINT I WOULD, MAYBE KEEP THE OPERATING SYSTEM JUST AS IT IS, THE ONLY REASON THAT I AM CONSIDERING CHANGING IS BECAUSE I CAN'T GET PASS THE PASSWORD ENTRY SO THAT I CAN GET TO THE START SCREEN THIS IS THE ONLY REASON THAT I AM CONSIDERING CHANGING TO WIN XP

Before I address your reply do me a favor, if I may ask. On the left side of your keyboard third key from the bottom, there is a key labeled Caps Lock. Please press it one time. Only once. Typing in all capital letters is the same as yelling, and I do not think you are yelling. It is also considered rude.
I understand perfectly. You are locked out of your computer by a password set by someone else. You may not have understood me. We cannot verify who your are. Providing you with a crack to by-pass the password on that computer will not be permitted. With all do respect we cannot tell if you are the legal owner or not. If we provided you with a crack to by-pass the password, and you are not in fact the owner, that would make us irresponsible. You can take it to a local computer shop and they would crack the password or do a search on the internet, but I will not aid someone I do not know in by-passing a security feature.
By the way you never stated that was the only reason you wanted to circumvent the password. I gave you specific information on what you asked about.
I must correct my first reply. Microsoft is still supporting XP Home SP2, just not XP Home SP1.
You sound upset in your reply. It may just be the all caps. If I did upset you I apologize, but I stand firm on my statement.

#5 allen9258

allen9258
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 10:20 PM

i am sorry that i type in all capital letters i am not angry or mad at your replies or at you but i understand just what you are telling about the fact that i may need to send this computer in question to a repair shop to correct the problem and get the to crack the code but i have found another way to fix the problem after looking on e-bay i have found some software that will correct this problem with some software that is available for sale under operating systems listing that you are able to purchase as a customer

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:12 AM

I am really glad you are finding solutions. Never meant to hurt your feelings.

#7 allen9258

allen9258
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:43 PM

i am really planning on changing to xp because i already have bought xp and i have never used win 2000 so i don't know if i will like it just what do you think about this operating system ? because i really like xp and i think highly of it because of the ease of using it can you tell me how do win 2000 pro stack up against xp pro to you. any one please anwser this question for me.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 08:38 AM

If you have already purchased XP then you have the OS you need. I like W2k on older computers simply because it is light on resources. If you are use to 98 it will be familiar. It uses the Windows 98 theme. It is as secure as XP. I had 3 computers running XP and I have switched two of them back to W2k.
Since you have XP stay with it. There is no reason to install W2k.

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users