Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony Switching Power Supply Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 23 December 2006 - 07:07 PM

I am looking to upgrade a Sony PCV-RS430G computer with a 400watt power supply. It has a 300watt 12v switching power supply #146870923. I can find the exact replacement, but I need a compatible upgrade.
I appreciate any help you can give. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2006 - 10:55 AM

I'd guess that the Sony PSU was a standard ATX model, but cannot confirm this on the web.

You may want to take a trip down to the local computer store. Measure the distances between the screws on the back, along with a drawing of the back of the PSU. You may also want to see how much free space is available between the PSU and the CD/DVD drives - the picture that I viewed showed it to be pretty cramped in there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 10:09 PM

Thank you, this is for my sister who lives out of state, but I will give her your advise. I have written to several power supply companies and they tell me they have no upgrade that will be compatible with that Sony model. I also spoke with Sony and they will not suggest any upgrade. We needed it for the new video card she purchased. Sony says to get a video card that will work with their 300 watt supply. They don't like to see you upgrade. Fortunately, the power supply they have is working just fine with the new upgraded video card. The video card required a connection from the power supply and we were afraid that would be a problem. But, so far we are in luck. But, if it starts having problems, she will just have to take in the power supply or measure it like you suggest. And yes it is very cramped inside. I love putting together my own systems, it eliminates all this mess. Thanks again for all your help ! You have given me a lot of great advice numerous times and I truly appreciate it. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users