Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Massive Help Needed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Emblem

Emblem

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 23 December 2006 - 03:43 PM

ok so i have my desktop and my laptop connected to my wireless router which is right underneath my desktop. I was connected to my DI-524 D-Link router at 192.168.0.1 and i was setting up at WEP key, when i did that, the router reset - but then i was unable to connect to my router again. My laptop can, but my desktop is only sending and not receiving. I called my ISP and D-Link with no help. I tried unplugging everything - nothing. I ran a Hijack this scan because somebody said that a virus could be blocking it. If needed i can send the logfile. Right now i connected my modem right to my computer via USB. I do not have an ethernet slot on my desktop, which i realize could fix the problem in two seconds. Since this fiasco occured i have not been able to connect to my router via the address on my desktop.

I have spend two days trying to figure out how to fix this. please if anyone can help me, it would be apprciated. =]

Emblem

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 thomasjk

thomasjk

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 03:54 PM

ok so i have my desktop and my laptop connected to my wireless router which is right underneath my desktop. I was connected to my DI-524 D-Link router at 192.168.0.1 and i was setting up at WEP key, when i did that, the router reset - but then i was unable to connect to my router again. My laptop can, but my desktop is only sending and not receiving. I called my ISP and D-Link with no help. I tried unplugging everything - nothing. I ran a Hijack this scan because somebody said that a virus could be blocking it. If needed i can send the logfile. Right now i connected my modem right to my computer via USB. I do not have an ethernet slot on my desktop, which i realize could fix the problem in two seconds. Since this fiasco occured i have not been able to connect to my router via the address on my desktop.

I have spend two days trying to figure out how to fix this. please if anyone can help me, it would be apprciated. =]

Emblem

Sounds like your were connected via wireless when you set the WEP key. Try resetting the router to its defaults. Then set the WEP key when connected by a Cat 5 cable. Make sure you copy the WEP key to file on one of your computers. How does the desktop connect to the router? Did you set up the WEP key on the Desktop?

Edited by thomasjk, 23 December 2006 - 03:55 PM.

#3 Emblem

Emblem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 04:13 PM

Emblem

Sounds like your were connected via wireless when you set the WEP key. Try resetting the router to its defaults. Then set the WEP key when connected by a Cat 5 cable. Make sure you copy the WEP key to file on one of your computers. How does the desktop connect to the router? Did you set up the WEP key on the Desktop?

My wireless connection to my desktop was fine until it reset itself. I already tried resetting the router back to default- nothing. I dont have a Cat 5 cable? and yeh i set up the WEP key on my desktop. but i was able to connect to it with my laptop.

#4 thomasjk

thomasjk

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 07:35 PM

Emblem

My wireless connection to my desktop was fine until it reset itself. I already tried resetting the router back to default- nothing. I dont have a Cat 5 cable? and yeh i set up the WEP key on my desktop. but i was able to connect to it with my laptop.

Can you access the router from your Laptop? If you can turn off the WEP encryption so you can get the desktop working. DO NOT SET THE WEP KEY WHILE CONNECTED BY WIRELESS. Get a cable for your Laptop.

Edited by thomasjk, 23 December 2006 - 07:36 PM.

#5 Emblem

Emblem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 07:43 PM

i did that, i still cant get my desktop to work
my desktop says that my router is connected, but i cant get it to receive anything and connect to the router directly.
i tried a different router/card and my laptop connected to it, but my desktop could not

#6 thomasjk

thomasjk

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 07:56 PM

i did that, i still cant get my desktop to work
my desktop says that my router is connected, but i cant get it to receive anything and connect to the router directly.
i tried a different router/card and my laptop connected to it, but my desktop could not

What kind of network hardware do you have installed on the desktop? If you run IPCONFIG /All from a command prompt, what does it report?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users