Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Up Files Missing, How Do I Repair

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 8100 Power

8100 Power

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 23 December 2006 - 03:03 PM

Ok, Windows starts to boot up, halfway through the process it stops and says this
"Windows could not start b/c the following files is missing or corrupt:
System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys

It tells me how to repair but i cant figure it out. I inserted the boot cd but. But it says hit repair at the first screen to start it. What first screen? Ive tried everything...Help Plz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 23 December 2006 - 03:26 PM

If this is a standard Windows XP CD, boot up with the CD and proceed through the prompts as if you're going to install a new copy. Do NOT press R at the first screen. After you agree to the license agreement by pressing F8, the program will search for your previous installation of Windows. Make sure you select your previous installation and press R to repair it.

When it goes through this process it will probably ask you for your product key, make certain you have it handy.
Posted Image

#3 8100 Power

8100 Power
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 03:34 PM

If this is a standard Windows XP CD, boot up with the CD and proceed through the prompts as if you're going to install a new copy. Do NOT press R at the first screen. After you agree to the license agreement by pressing F8, the program will search for your previous installation of Windows. Make sure you select your previous installation and press R to repair it.

When it goes through this process it will probably ask you for your product key, make certain you have it handy.

Why does the boot CD say Windows 98, Its a XP computer and this is the Boot CD that come with it. Its a TOSIBA M45 Series. Sould i contunie?

#4 8100 Power

8100 Power
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 03:57 PM

I figured out this is not the right CD, but here on Toshiba's website they have drivers, which one do i need?

heres the link
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su....jsp#PublicList

#5 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 23 December 2006 - 05:12 PM

A lot of Toshiba restore CDs were made using images of Norton Ghost, so they basically made a snapshot of the factory default OS onto a CD/DVD. Generally that means you can restore your system to factory default like the day you got it, the downside of running that sort of recovery is that it wipes out any data you've accumulated on your hard drive, as well as any programs and configuration changes.

If this is the case with this, which I'm betting it is, you can fix it with the restore CD, but you'll lose your data in the process. If you can't get your hands on an OEM Windows XP CD to follow the repair process instructions above then you don't have much of a choice. You may be able to back up your existing data by hooking up an external USB hard drive and booting up with something like a Knoppix CD.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users