Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Religion And Suicide

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 23 December 2006 - 02:26 PM

Just as a preface, I think that this discussion should be only between those who practice a religion that calls the Holy Bible its holy book, but I guess that Catholics are OK, too.

1) Do you think that committing suicide sends you strait to hell?
2) If yes or no, do you have any biblical proof of scripture from the Bible to back it up?

I am split with many in my religion. Being a protestant, I believe in the concept of being saved, and that once God has accepted you, you have salvation forever, and that suicide cannot change this. However, some others who claim the same religion as me, see it as committing suicide will send you strait to hell, because you can't be forgiven since you are already dead. I do not agree with their reasoning, because this would mean that if you did not pray right before you died, there is a good chance that you would have sinned before you died, therefore cannot ask for forgiveness, and therefore go to Hell.

What do you think?

Q
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brain_dead

brain_dead

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 07:27 AM

1st of, I am Catholic (you may want to stop here!)

These are only my thoughts.

I believe in a forgiving God that will give us every chance to be with Him in heaven. He gives us opportunities and sends people to help us make the right choices. But we are all flawed.

Many people die of horrible physical disease...and God permits this to happen. If we have a mental disease, we may not have a choice or be capable of making the right choice.

God makes the rules...only He knows what is in a person's heart.

God's Peace to All,

b_d

Edited by brain_dead, 27 December 2006 - 06:59 PM.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:22 PM

The last time I noticed, Roman Catholics took the Bible as their "holy book."

What would count as " biblical proof of scripture from the Bible?" and WHICH Bible counts? WHOSE interpretation of the text?

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 03:34 PM

"Just as a preface, I think that this discussion should be only between those who practice a religion that calls the Holy Bible its holy book, but I guess that Catholics are OK, too". Eep!!

Re: God makes the rules...only He knows what is in a person's heart. - beautifully said, brain_dead!

(Won't post in this topic again in respect for ryan's request, but if more Christians had this gentle, tolerant belief, I suspect there would be more people believing in Christianity).
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#5 yoopergirl

yoopergirl

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 04:41 AM

er, I don't believe in ANY bible? Can I post? Dude, you claim to follow your bible and yet you do not love me enough to allow me to post here? Are you serious?

Suicide will not send you straight to hell. I don't think anyone that does not have an "excusable" medical condition would ever think of suicide. So there, would your god discriminate against the mentally ill?

IMHO

#6 seafox14

seafox14

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 07:56 PM

I have read the Bible ( both NIV and NLT translations). I have found no specific prohibitions against suicide. the teaching in the church against suicide is a man made teaching that has some scriptural basis. the bible does, in many, places tell us not to give in to despair. suicide is the complete surrendering to despair that results in a person taking their life. It is not specifically against scripture (at least from my understanding of it) to commit suicide. However, if a person has put their faith and trust in Jesus ( i.e. that are a christian), then God's Holy Spirit can help them through this despair until it is gone.

Seafox14
5 So put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you. Have nothing to do with sexual immorality, impurity, lust, and evil desires. Donít be greedy, for a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world

#7 Darthy

Darthy

The red side of the Force

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 09:10 PM

We are already in the Hell, because Hell is here on our Planet.
Think about Darfur, Palestine, Chechnya, Iraq and many other places where is almost impossible to live.
I think the Hell is definitively here.

Edited by Darthy, 04 January 2007 - 09:14 PM.

Εν οίδα οτι ουδέν οίδα - Socrates
Thanks John

#8 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:29 PM

Interestingly enough, Darthy, you aren't alone in your thinking. Many people honestly feel that there is no hell after life, rather 'Heaven' and 'Hell' exist right here on earth.

I know I said I wasn't going to post here because Ryan specifically asked only Christians post in this thread, but do hope he will understand when I say that surely there must be good Christians who think 'My God, why have you forsaken me?!' when things become truly an ongoing nightmare right here on earth, as Darthy mentioned. Gentle sad sigh.

Ryan, I hope so much you will forgive me for even broaching this, but if it's a friend of yours that is discussing these questions with you and seeking answers, please keep a 'head's up' lest your friend is truly in despair and wondering for more than an academic reason. Sadly, not all people considering suicide are able to call out for help in obvious ways, perhaps.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#9 brain_dead

brain_dead

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 06:31 AM

It is my belief (and not my original thought) that the Old Testament shows God to be, intolerant, revengeful, and distant.
While after Christ...He is forgiving and tolerant. God becoming man and giving Himself for us has made the difference.
Well-meaning Christians who site the Old Bible (which I believe still has great value) in condemnation, have not considered the Eternal Word of the New Testament.

Please understand-I am not a holy person or a person of great prayer...I go to Mass and follow my faith and learn from it.
I believe not to follow and not to hand-down to my children my beliefs-is ignoring the sacrifice that was made for me some 2000 years ago.

Humility is the ultimate teaching of Christ...forgotten by many.

Thanks,
Alan

#10 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:04 PM

Suicide is man's way of telling God, "You can't fire me--I quit!"
- Bill Maher

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,112 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:58 AM

Though the reasons given for suicide are many and various, underlying them all is a deep and profound despair in which all hope - at least in this life - is lost.

I have been torn in my mind for several weeks about posting this next part, but I have finally decided to.

No, emphatically no, one does not automatically 'go straight to hell' if one commits suicide. I know this having been told by a loving, caring, strong presence that I had to go back - here to this life - after one of my countless suicide attempts (I wanted to go home.) in my youth (as in 10-16 years old). No, no-one knew about that mess while it was going on.

By the way, brain_dead, there is a lot of forgiveness in the Old Testament.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 21 February 2007 - 04:58 AM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#12 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:05 AM

I admire your courage, Orange Blossom - gentle hug.

How odd in our society where sex and drugs and cruelty are often spoke of, it's so rare that suicide or death is even mentioned. Again, I admire your courage and I'm so incredibly happy that the attempts were unsuccessful, truly I am! More gentle hugs!

#13 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:26 AM

i just wanted to say that i don't believe people who commit suicide go to hell. i don't believe in hell. we all contribute to our own deaths everyday, how can one action be considered more important than the other?

Orange Blossom, what you wrote takes true humility and humanity, and i thank you for your candor. i too am pleased that you succeeded in life rather than death. :thumbsup:
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#14 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:26 PM

er, I don't believe in ANY bible? Can I post? Dude, you claim to follow your bible and yet you do not love me enough to allow me to post here? Are you serious?

Those who are not religious would have no need to post anyways since its about religion and suicide so what would someone post if they had no religion?

So he was not being mean he just wanted to know from someone who has a religion and what they think.

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 21 February 2007 - 06:28 PM.

#15 Cozy

Cozy

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 08:54 PM

Here's a great site that covers the topic pretty well in my opinion.

Carm.org on suicide

It even talks about the different "types" of suicide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users