Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer .....

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mypenry

mypenry

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:36 AM

Ive got my first new computer and just been looking through what’s been installed on it by the manufacturer , being new to computers I’m not too sure about the installed items, ive searched some of them, but they seem to be shown on ‘crack’ type web sites ..?
Can any one offer me advice as to what’s useful or not as I want to delete if not useful. This is the list ….( sorry its a bit long )
Its running on Windows XP Pro Media Edition & IE6

WinXP Manager V4.95

WS_FTP Professional 2006.0.1.0 release

Cyberlink Power DVD V6.0.2023.CJL Delux Retail Edition

DivX Player 6.0 ( DVXA)

File.Recovery.Pro.V7.0

GetDataBack.for.FAT v2.31

GetDataBack.for.NTF v2.31

NTI.Ripper. v2.0.0.8 Retail Incl .Keymaker ZWT

Palthai 3.3

Regedit for XP

Slysoft.AnyDVD.v5.8.1.1

Slysoft.CloneCD.v5.2.7.1Multilingual.I

Task.Switcher.Powertoy

TweakUI.2.10.Powertoy

Winamp.Pro.v5.13

WinRAR,v3.51.Final

WinZip.Professional.v10.0.6685

Thanks.................. Mypenry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 23 December 2006 - 12:05 PM

If they are fully functional leave them all.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 01:09 PM

You didn't say if they are on "recovery disks" along with XP or on a separate applications disk, for reinstalling later if necessary. I would say leave them on for awhile, see what you find yourself using. Then remove those programs you have no use for.

If you only have recovery disks with everything on it to restore to the factory settings in the event you have to reinstall Windows, then what I'd do is make a disk image of my system once I've removed the unnecessary software and/or after adding other programs I like. That way, if I need to reinstall Windows sometime in the future then I won't have to go through cleaning out the programs I don't want again and reinstalling my additional software preferences.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2006 - 08:23 AM

If these were installed by the manufacturer and are not trial versions - leave them there. There's several good programs in the list that may be very useful for you (GetDataBack, WinRAR, WinZip, WS_FTP, and TweakUI are all programs that I've used)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users