Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JTullFan

JTullFan

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:32 AM

My PC has WinXP media edition installed. I had to do a recovery from the disc that I created. Now I keep getting messages that files are missing. Messages asking me for my SP 2 disc? I have done a search for these files on my system, and in all cases I have found them. So they are strictly speaking not missing. Why do I have to search for them each time, and create a path in order for them to work. Shouldn't Windows find them automatically?

I also get a message that says Hardware not installed correctly, SLIP-De-Framer?

I have a Win XP Pro disc......could I install that and get the files from there, as I think most of those files are the same as WinXP Media?

Thanks for any help.

Steve :thumbsup:
If it smells bad, don't eat it!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,905 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 11:15 AM

Try running the the System File Checker (SFC) to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If SFC discovers that a critical system file has been damaged, altered or missing, it restores the correct version of the file from the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run sfc and it may ask you to insert your Installation CD so have it available.

To use System File Checker:
Go to Start > Run and type: sfc /scannow

Make sure that you include a space between the c and /. This command will initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files, verify their integrity, and replace any problem files.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 JTullFan

JTullFan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 11:47 AM

Try running the the System File Checker (SFC) to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If SFC discovers that a critical system file has been damaged, altered or missing, it restores the correct version of the file from the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run sfc and it may ask you to insert your Installation CD so have it available.

Make sure that you include a space between the c and /. This command will initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files, verify their integrity, and replace any problem files.

Thanks, I will try that

#4 JTullFan

JTullFan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 12:07 PM

Hello again! I tried to run the scan, but I keep getting a message that asks me for my WinXp service pack 2 disc.

This is a new PC with WinXP Media Edition pre-installed. So I don't have a disc. I do have a recovery disc that I created at the beginning. But when I used this disc before that is when my problem began. Maybe some of the files were not copied from the disc, but there was no indication of that when I created the disc.

Thanks,
Steve

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,905 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 01:17 PM

Media Center Edition (MCE) is basically XP Home Edition with various media add-ons. However, some of the add-ons are from XP Pro so this can cause problems when trying to run SFC.

When you run the System File Checker utility (Sfc.exe) with the /scannow switch on a computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 or Update Rollup 2 for Windows Media Center Edition 2005, you may receive the following error message:

Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache.
Insert your Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 CD now

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909059
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 25 December 2006 - 08:30 AM

SFC.EXE looks in several places for your SP2 files (if SP2 is installed). Here's a link to some information on it: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=392813

Also, if this is a Dell, there's some issues with their implementation of it (I worked on this problem a while back - but don't have the references anymore). In this case, the computer would ask for XP Pro SP2 - even though it was a Media Center Edition computer. It had to do with the descriptors in a couple of files which were easily fixed. I'd suggest searching the Dell website for more information if this is the case.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users