Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Jpg Viewing Problems - Can't Read File Header

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ladyq

ladyq

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 23 December 2006 - 08:45 AM

Hi Guys

I wonder if anyone can help. About 6 weeks ago I reformatted my hard drive and installed Windows XP Prof (I was with Windows XP Home). In order to preserve them, I moved all my JPGs on to my husband's PC via our home network and then back again once I re-formatted. I can't now view the JPGs and when using Irfan the message I get is :-

(doc) - can't read file Header!
Unknown file format or file not found!

Now luckily most of the JPGs were backed up onto disc and saved but there were a few taken in the weeks before the re-format that I hadn't backed up and I want to know whether I can save them. The properties on each indicate the data is still there.

I've run various recovery programs with no luck as they only pick up stuff deleted post-format.

Any help/suggestions appreciated and compliments of the festive season to all!

Cheers

LadyQ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:02 AM

Can Irfanview correctly open .jgps that were NOT transferred?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 ladyq

ladyq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:28 AM

Hi John

Yes, have just tried

Alex (ladyQ)

#4 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 12:01 PM

Did you leave the .jpg files on your husband's computer? If so open them there to see if they work then email them to yourself or burn them to disk to see if they function. Another trick you could try is open them with IE (make sure that the box is unchecked to always open with) then save them as bitmaps and convert them to .jpg.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 23 December 2006 - 12:02 PM.

I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#5 ladyq

ladyq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 06:23 PM

Hi

The answer to the first question is no as he also re-formatted with XP Pro after I did and in answer to the second I tried that and got the box with the red X in it. I read somewhere it might be something to do with something messing the hexadecimal headers in the file which indicate it is a JPEG, can anyone shed any light on that??

Thanks for all help

Alex

#6 elliotcreek

elliotcreek

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:25 PM

Hi Lady q, Having the same issue only with tif and awd files. Was wondering if you had resolved your problem and how?
Cheers, elliotcreek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users