Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Issues?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Lizwoo

Lizwoo

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 23 December 2006 - 03:46 AM

My computer's had issues pretty much from the start.
It started to freeze up after being on for a 1 or 2 days. From there the time frame only got smaller to where it's freeze during windows boot up and even before. Reformatting the HD fixed the problem for a while, but it came back again after a month and a half. I again just reformatted it.
It started acting up again today. I'd turn it on and it's stick at the asus motherboard screen. It wouldn't boot. I reset it a few times and then got an error saying that overclocking had failed.. even though I am not over clocked at all. From there I was about to get it to restart again and finally load windows.
Is this just a really crappy dying HD that I need to get replaced or it is something more serious?
Love ur life! <33
Live ur life!!

Southern Pride!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 23 December 2006 - 05:47 AM

This could be many different things. First, please post a system report here using this free utility: http://www.gtopala.com/index.html

We only need the hardware info for right now - the report is awfully darned long!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Lizwoo

Lizwoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 07:33 AM

Chassis Desktop
Machine Type At/at compatible
Disk Space Disk C: 25 GB Available, 43 GB Total, 25 GB Free
Disk D: 189 GB Available, 233 GB Total, 189 GB Free
Physical Memory 1023 MB Total, 254 MB Free
Memory Load 75%
Virtual Memory 2460 MB total, 1742 MB free
SwapFile 1536 MB
Max used 275 MB
In use 223 MB
Registry Size 4 MB (current), 54 MB (maximum)
Profile GUID {334073c0-89a6-11db-abbc-806d6172696f}
The system clock interval 15 ms

I'm running windows off the smaller HD, Disk C.
Love ur life! <33
Live ur life!!

Southern Pride!!!!!!

#4 narcoreality

narcoreality

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 05:09 PM

Memory load 75%?? And out of 1 gig memory, 256 free? Not good.

#5 Lizwoo

Lizwoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2006 - 11:50 PM

I rechecked and I must have had alot of things running or something because the memory load is now down to 42%.
Love ur life! <33
Live ur life!!

Southern Pride!!!!!!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 25 December 2006 - 12:53 AM

I rechecked and I must have had alot of things running or something because the memory load is now down to 42%.

Exactly, the figure is showing what is happening at the time, this doesn't reflect on its overall performance.

Have you run a memory test or hdds test, you can download Memtest 86 here, and you should be able to go to the home page of the manufacturer of your hdd for a downloadable test.

What is your CPU temperature during these times? If you don't have a means of seeing these other than in your BIOS you can download Everest Home Edition. While your looking, see if there are any anomalies in your voltages.

btw, all of the downloads are free.

Edited by dc3, 25 December 2006 - 12:58 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Lizwoo

Lizwoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2006 - 09:48 AM

I just restarted my computer because it froze again.
The temperatures are..
33 C / 91 F (from my second storage HD, not running windows)
41 C / 106 F (for my pirmary HD that is running windows)
Is that high? It seems a bit high.

I ran the RAM test over night and it came up with nothing.
I'll try and test my HD in the next few hours and see if that leads to anything.
Love ur life! <33
Live ur life!!

Southern Pride!!!!!!

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2006 - 11:30 AM

I suspect that this is the error that you received: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x9c

First, I'd try a scan of your system for malware (since malware can mimic hardware errors). Here's a link for a free, online scan: http://safety.live.com/

Next, I'd try a test of your hard drive using a free tool from the manufacturer's website. Have a look at your hard drive to see who made it and go to their website for a free, bootable tool to check it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Lizwoo

Lizwoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2006 - 12:09 PM

I don't recieve any errors when it freezes. No pop up boxes. No blue screens. Nothing. The sound stops working. The mouse disappears. The keyboard lights are on but it's doesn't respond (no alt-ctrl-del). My only choice is to hit restart. I've been on since my last post waiting for it to freeze again keeping an eye on the HD temp. I made a test diskette for my HD that i'll run after it freezes next.. which hopefully won't happen. *crosses fingers*
This this dislikes me with a passion.. for some reason and like to give me a headache.
Thank you all for responding.
Love ur life! <33
Live ur life!!

Southern Pride!!!!!!

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 25 December 2006 - 12:49 PM

One other thing you could look for are bad capacitors, especially around the power connector on the motherboard.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2006 - 02:23 PM

These problems are frustrating - but that's because computers are so darned complicated these days. It takes a lot of steady testing/troubleshooting to isolate some problems - but it will get solved eventually (even if it means solving it with a sledgehammer! :thumbsup:

#12 Lizwoo

Lizwoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 03:38 AM

So I went to the maxtor website and downloaded powermax 4.23 which was supposed to check my HD.
I made the bootable floppy and ran the program. I got an error which I guess I can assume is not a good thing. Only problem is I don't know what it means. I tried looking on their website and well.. didn't find anything.

General Protection Fault at eip=214 flags=3283 eax=fb68af8 ebx=c690ba ecx=00000004 edx=fb6d4769 esi=0006dc5e edi=00004a2ea ebp=fb68a47f esp=00003ffc cs=af ds=b7 es=b7 fs=a7 gs=0 ss=a7 error=0000
Love ur life! <33
Live ur life!!

Southern Pride!!!!!!

#13 Lizwoo

Lizwoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 06:45 AM

is there a way to test my motherboard and see if that's what's causing all of these problems?
could it even be the motherboard?
Love ur life! <33
Live ur life!!

Southern Pride!!!!!!

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:16 AM

Yes, there is a way to test your motherboard - but the tests aren't 100% reliable, and they cost more than several motherboards.

Try disconnecting the hard drive and booting with the disk (don't forget to unplug the system and ground yourself to the metal chassis before reaching inside the case). While the disk won't find a hard drive, this'll tell you if it's the disk causing the problem.

Another thing to try is this free, bootable memory tool: http://www.memtest86.com/ Let it run for at least 2 or 3 passes - overnight is better.

If it still doesn't boot (or gives the errors), then we'll have to look deeper.

#15 Lizwoo

Lizwoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 05:01 PM

I did the memtest and it came back normal.
Something weird to just throw in there.. I disconnected my second harddrive which was all just storage (no programs at all) and it's been fine all moring. Hasn't froozen in atleast 7 hours.. when it would freeze after 30-60min with both HDs connected.
Love ur life! <33
Live ur life!!

Southern Pride!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users