Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Basic To Dynamic Disk Xp Pro

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 killmypc

killmypc

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 22 December 2006 - 07:32 PM

Hey yall,

A friend and I were talking today, and he said he got quite a performance increase by switching his drives from basic to dynamic.

I read some on this, and I am very confused. :thumbsup:

Would someone be kind enough to tell the pros and cons of this...

Thanks.

--XP Pro / Seagate 40G Master / WD 60G Slave.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 22 December 2006 - 10:32 PM

I guess my first question, before attempting any sort of explanation would be. What sort of "performance increase" was he seeing or experiencing? Performance increase is a rather generic term, and I would prefer to understand how it applies to the question you ask.

Here is an explanation of what Basic and Dynamic Disks are. Click Here
And here is: How To Convert to Basic and Dynamic Disks in Windows XP Professional

Be (Dynamically) Safe
Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 killmypc

killmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2006 - 11:56 PM

My friend is a pretty avid gamer...he installed 'battlefield 2142'?? (something like that), which he said is very demanding) on his slave drive, and after changing his disk to dynamic, says the game seems to run smoother, load quicker, just overall better performance. From what he says...system wide. But I am not sure if he changed both drives, or just one.

I have recently discovered M$ Flight Simulator X.....This game has me....So basically, if changing this disks to dynamic would help.....considering it. :thumbsup:

I have read some articles, but am still not really seeing where the benefit comes into play...some of the articles say it is very risky...

Does the good it could do, outweigh the potential for disaster?? :flowers:

Hope that makes my question a little clearer. :trumpet:
Thanks

#4 killmypc

killmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 08:44 AM

I guess what I would really like to know is.....

Is there any real benefit from making the change? :flowers:

Anyone?...Anyone?... :thumbsup:

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 23 December 2006 - 12:51 PM

From what you have described, I really don't see the benefit outweighing the risk. Unless you have a serious amount of data to be manipulating across a RAID type system. The RAID array would mitigate much of the risk of having dynamic disks. This is just my assessment. others may disagree.

Da Bleepin Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 killmypc

killmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 01:36 PM

I do have a controller card installed. Needed it to add a slave drive without going to SATA. Can't afford it right now. I keep almost everything of any size on my slave.

So if I am understanding correctly, switching to dynamic would be better with a RAID type setup?
If so, Master, Slave, or both.

Please forgive my ignorance, I am still very confused on this subject.

Thanks again

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 25 December 2006 - 08:39 AM

It's a very, very complicated subject - so don't worry about understanding it in total.

The gist is that a dynamic disk is a good tool used to spread out your data - either to increase speed or to provide data redundancy (sorta like a backup).

It's software based, so it's not as effective as hardware based RAID controllers. But it can give a speed increase if setup properly.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 killmypc

killmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 06:18 AM

Guess I'll just find some more to read about it first..... :thumbsup:

Thanks yall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users