Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Is Failing, Keeps Restarting

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 georgie52

georgie52

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:18 PM

I know I need to back up all the stuff I have on here, (an 80gb HDD) so I ordered another 80gb hard drive from newegg and when it gets here, I'm going to attempt to back up everything on this drive to the new one...but my problem is, I need to use the new hard drive as the primary one with XP on it, but still keep all my files but don't know how I would accomplish this. Will I need another hard drive?

If I install XP on the extra hard drive can it still be used as a slave and not booted from while running the current drive, so I can backup all my files on it and then set it to master and boot from it?

EDIT: Also, I would want to back up the hard drive in safe mode with command prompt, to avoid the computer shutting down like it most likely would during the back up process if running in normal mode... How would I go about doing that and keeping the file structure?

Edited by georgie52, 22 December 2006 - 05:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:26 PM

To do this you'd need to partition the new hard drive into at least 2 different partitions. Leave the first one blank for the OS install later on - then copy the data to the next partition. I'd suggest formatting the first partition in NTFS and the second one in FAT32 to ease your access to these files when you reinstall the OS.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2006 - 06:13 PM

You say the hard drive is failing, do you mean like faulty sectors? Bad SMART report? Or are you keeping the hard drive?

If the original is dying I would recommend setting it as a slave and then installing your new drive as a master and installing Windows fresh on it. Then pull whatever files you can from the old drive using your new XP installation.

Unless you want to try to make a full image copy of the OS and all the data to your new drive, in which case you're going to need a boot disk of some sort that can image drives, and possibly recover data from a faulty drive.

Edited by arcman, 22 December 2006 - 06:46 PM.

Posted Image

#4 georgie52

georgie52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2006 - 06:25 PM

Well, I'm almost sure the drive is failing as it runs fine in another PC and also recently I had simply hit the power switch on the back of the PC to shut it off instead of doing it properly, and then it wouldnt start up so I had to run chkdsk in system recovery, and since then it just shuts off randomly.

arcman
So if I install XP on the new drive I've ordered, set it to master, then put the current hard drive I have on slave I can just pull files from it?

usasma
Pardon my ignorance, but I wouldn't know how to do that. I know what partitions are but wouldn't have the slightest clue on making more than one, and choosing which is FAT32 and which is NTFS, along with installing an OS on only one..

Edited by georgie52, 22 December 2006 - 06:29 PM.

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2006 - 06:46 PM

Well, I'm almost sure the drive is failing as it runs fine in another PC

Perhaps it's not the drive that's failing, but the system memory that's causing the errors. I would recommend running a memory tester such as Memtest86. Why would the drive work in another PC if it was failing?

#6 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2006 - 06:53 PM

Yeah, if you can hook it up as a slave (and if it still functions) you can read the files.

I would also recommend more diagnostics like memtest, as well as a diagnostic for the hard drive to confirm for certain whether it's failing or not. IBM's drive fitness test works well.
http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT
Posted Image

#7 georgie52

georgie52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2006 - 10:27 PM

Well, I'm almost sure the drive is failing as it runs fine in another PC

Perhaps it's not the drive that's failing, but the system memory that's causing the errors. I would recommend running a memory tester such as Memtest86. Why would the drive work in another PC if it was failing?

I meant does the same thing in other computer, sorry**

I'll try putting memtest on a CD now..

#8 georgie52

georgie52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2006 - 10:55 PM

Okay, I ran it and this happened:

http://pixpipeline.com/l/350c602ebafa.jpg,...af9404db7a5.jpg

I don't know what any of it means or what I'm suppose to do at that last screen.

Theres also a command prompt at the bottom with A:\

#9 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2006 - 11:40 PM

That is bizarre. I don't think you got the complete image or something.
Download and burn a CD image of the Ultimate Boot CD and run a memory tester from there, it's in the Mainboard tools.

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4981
Posted Image

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2006 - 09:17 AM

You can use many different tools to partition your hard drive. A WinME boot disk along with the tool "fdisk.exe" can do this simply for you and for free.

You can even do this in Windows if you go to Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc) and right click on the drive. Then just select the partition, delete it, then create a 30 - 40 gB partition, format it as NTFS, then create another partition in the remaining space and format it as FAT32. You can't do this with the drive that Windows is currently running on, but you will be able to do it to another drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2006 - 05:05 PM

Back to your original question: if I was in your situation and wanted to replace the drive, here's how I would proceed. First, I'd take the old hard drive out of the computer. Then, I'd put in the new one and install XP on it. Then, I'd install my programs. Then, I'd shut down and put in the old hard drive as a slave (assuming, of course, that it's an IDE drive.) Then, I'd simply copy my files from the old hard drive to the new hard drive. You would be required to reactivate Windows, since you replaced the drive.

#12 georgie52

georgie52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2006 - 11:12 PM

Okay, so simply put I can just stick the current hard drive in slave, install XP on the new HDD [it is IDE] and I can pull files off the current drive? Will it just show up as another drive in my computer, do I need certain drivers?

Pardon all the ignorance.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2006 - 09:45 AM

Generally, with NTFS drives, you'll have some issues with accessing the data from another XP installation. There's some easy workarounds (taking ownership of the files in the Security tab).

That's why I suggested that the other partition be set as FAT32 - then these issues won't arise.

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2006 - 05:27 PM

How to prepare a second hard disk drive for use in Windows XP Home
http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/prepare...cond_hdd1.shtml

#15 georgie52

georgie52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 11:54 PM

How to prepare a second hard disk drive for use in Windows XP Home
http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/prepare...cond_hdd1.shtml

Thanks to that tutorial and all your help it's all done. I got the new drive, created one 10gb partition on it to install XP on, then put all the stuff on the old drive in the second partition, booted windows on the new drive and everything was just already there on the other partition...thanks guys!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users