Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overheating Problem, Need Help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 davidoffbeat

davidoffbeat

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 22 December 2006 - 04:55 PM

OK my computer is constantly freezing, I've come to the conclusion that it is over heating (I've pointed a household fan towards the open case and it works fine, never freezing up)

Things I checked-

-The Graphics card, was an nvidia 7800gt, i took it out and used on-board....still overheats.

-The Power supply, I recently completely replaced it, with a new PSU that has two fans...still overheats.

-I took off the heat-sink and applied thermal compound.....still overheats!

Now I'm not even over-clocking, I have 3 standard case fans, and the new PSU has 2 fans. I should not be having an overheating problem, but for some reason It freezes up when I do simple task like browsing the internet or listening to music (not just when I play games)

I have a
AMD 3800 X2 processor
4 gigs of ram
Gigabyte GA-M51GM-S2G Mobo
Power Star 600 W watt Dual Fan ATX PSU
Windows XP MCE (use to have XP pro, same problem)

I'm not sure if it's a memory problem or not...because 4 gigs is more than usual. But it doesn't seem like that that should be a problem since it is supported by the mobo.

Appreciate any help.

Edited by davidoffbeat, 22 December 2006 - 04:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 22 December 2006 - 10:59 PM

My first sense is that it is not a heating issue. So, how do you know it is overheating? Do you have onboard utilities that tell you the actual temperature? My box has a video card fan, a cpu fan, two fans in the power supply, and one case fan, and I have no issues. Oh, I have three hard drives in near constant use, and I do extensive development on my system, meaning that I may have two or three virtual environments going, an IDE, a couple browser windows, several database applications, a web server, and two or three command windows. (I work the heck out of my system)

When you say freeze, do you mean "freezes so that I have to kill the power to restore it", or is it just stuttering for a few seconds. There is a big difference. I have had people tell me that their Scan Disk wasn't working because it kept freezing. When I asked how long, they would say "like 10 seconds or so". (Darn impatient kids anyway). At any rate, total freeze is one thing, stuttering is another, and application lock-up is something else. So when you say 'freeze', I'm thinking that you need to toggle the power to get going again.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 23 December 2006 - 05:44 AM

When it freezes, shut it down, unplug it, open the case, hold onto the metal of the chassis with one hand - and with the other hand gently feel each component (careful - it may be very hot!). Be sure to check the CPU, the vid card, the memory, the hard drive, and the north and south bridge chips.

The hottest one is likely to be your problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 davidoffbeat

davidoffbeat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 26 December 2006 - 12:49 PM

When it freezes, shut it down, unplug it, open the case, hold onto the metal of the chassis with one hand - and with the other hand gently feel each component (careful - it may be very hot!). Be sure to check the CPU, the vid card, the memory, the hard drive, and the north and south bridge chips.

The hottest one is likely to be your problem.

Yea I figured out it was the north bridge chipset, the only component I didn't think to check until someone on another messageboard suggested it. I replaced the stock heatsink with a better one and it's seemed to work fine so far.

(And yes groovicus, it was freezing completely so i had to restart, and the reason i could tell it was overheating is because it worked fine with i had a big fan pointed it)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users