Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Alert From Sygate

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 22 December 2006 - 04:27 PM

The message I'm getting is as follows;
NT Kernel System (ntoskml.exe) is trying to send an ICMP Type 8 (Echo Request) packet to....

I did unplug my satellite internet system temporarily as a troubleshooting measure for an issue I was having with my internet connection. It fixed the problem.
Wondering if this message has to do with plugging it back in etc?

Didn't find any answers in Google....

Edited by TMacK, 22 December 2006 - 05:21 PM.

Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 22 December 2006 - 08:06 PM

ICMP echo type 8 is "ping" or more technically speaking it is the first part
of a "ping" Therefore, the ICMP echo request and the pc being "pinged" sends an ICMP
echo reply.

As long as what is being reported is just "ping" related I doubt you have anything to worry about. Especially since you state that you did unplug your satellite internet connection, and plugged it back in.

Da Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 TMacK

TMacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 22 December 2006 - 09:02 PM

Thanx for that great explanation Animal. I wasn't understanding that part at all. Makes sense tho.
Found some info on the PC World site that said NT Kernel System [ntoskml.exe] is a component in Windows. But this isn't news to most...

Problem solved,Thank you for your help.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 22 December 2006 - 11:14 PM

You are very welcome TMacK. Happy Holidays to you.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users