Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pfu History

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DneedsHelp!

DneedsHelp!

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 22 December 2006 - 11:15 AM

I have the usual problems with keeping my computer clean. I do all (if not most) of the preventative measures. However, I have noticed that my computer is still slow. I open the Task Manager and the processes show that System Idle Process CPU usage is high, I look on the Performance tab and see that the CPU Usage History is still low (under 50%) but the Page File Usage History is almost at 100%. I do not know what this is but could this be a major cause of the computer being slow?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 22 December 2006 - 11:30 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer

We have a self-help thread for assistance with your problem. Please see Slow Computer?, Use this troubleshooting checklist.

System Idle process is used for measuring how much idle time the CPU is having at any particular time(100% minus the sum of all tasks CPU usage). It will display how much CPU Resources, as a percentage are 'idle' and available for use. One instance of this process operates per CPU, and runs to occupy the processor when other threads are not running. Normally this process should take up at least 90%+ of processor time on average (this is the value in the CPU column).

To understand what the memory usage fields represent, read "Performance fields overview".

Edited by quietman7, 22 December 2006 - 02:12 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:39 PM

It appears that something is hogging your pagefile - it could be an errant program or a virus.

I'd suggest checking the processes tab in Task Manager to see what's causing the excessive access (switch between the Performance tab and Processes tab)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2006 - 06:49 PM

How much physical memory do you have, and how much page file space? (To find out, go to Start -> Run and type in
msinfo32
. . . and read the information there.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users