Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speedfan Temps

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:55 AM

I tried posting this before but there was a power flash, so I'm not sure if it will be a double post or not.
anyway, I have a pretty stable system with lotsa fans and good airflow and I've never had a problem with overheating, but I downloaded speedfan just for fun. Theres the chart that was something like this (too lazy to upload screenshot)

Temp1: 78C
Temp2: 127C
Temp3: 32C
HD0: 28C
Temp1: 38C

The 78C and 127C are just rediculous. I don't know what those are monitoring, but in my bios, it says my mobo and cpu are almost never > 40C and my hardware is always cool/warm to the touch. I don't think I should worry because I'm positive nothing in my system is 127C!!! But I just wanted feedback about what I should do. Maybe its just a problem with speedfan?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 22 December 2006 - 08:43 AM

Hi nforce.
Those two temps (78C, 128C) are false readings.
A quote from speedfan:

If you happen to see an unusually high temperature on this dialog, perhaps it is simply a disconnected sensor: something that the hardware monitor chip can monitor, but that the motherboard manufacturer didn't use.

I don't know what those are monitoring, but in my bios, it says my mobo and cpu are almost never > 40C and my hardware is always cool/warm to the touch.

See this page on how to identify what is being monitored and how to fix wrong readings.
Temp readings in your bios are accurate but keep in mind the system is not under a load at that time.
Did you build this system or is it OEM?
Most motherboard makers include a utility that monitor temps, voltages and fan speeds while in Windows, which is were you really want to see this info, not in the bios.

Edited by HitSquad, 22 December 2006 - 08:49 AM.

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 22 December 2006 - 08:48 AM

It's most likely bogus. The chip on the motherboard from which SpeedFan is reading the temperature data has a bunch of sensors, some of which might not be connected to anything.

EDIT: Rule of thumb: "If your computer is stabel, your temps are fine."

Edited by Mr Alpha, 22 December 2006 - 08:52 AM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 nforce

nforce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:29 PM

Thanks for the replies. And I built this system myself with care ;) and know everythings hooked up right. I did notice that when speedfan starts up, it loads some stuff for the nforce2 chipset but in the chipset tab, it lists the correct nforce3 chipset. I'll see if there are updated chipset drivers and a temp monitor for my mobo. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users