Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Question About Slipstreaming

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:26 AM

Hi all, I'm going to install a 200GB hdd that I've wiped and is ready to go. I have made a disk using Autostreamer slipstreaming W2k pro and sp4. My question is in regards to the partitioning section of the installation of the OS, I know from previous experience that the section will open with a screen with the words "Unpartitioned Space" with the amount shown on the right. With the 137GB limit, will my 200GB of unpartitioned space show or only the 137GB? If it doesn't and I proceed with the amount shown will the slipstream enable me to see the whole 200GB when it's finished?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 22 December 2006 - 10:15 AM

Service pack 3 and better should be able to see the full capacity of your drive.
Since you slipstreamed SP4, you shouldn't have any issues. I would also check the drive manufacturers website for any other issues with installing drives, in Windows 2000, with drives over the 137GB barrier.
Similar to this PDF - http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/tp/137gb.pdf
JC

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2006 - 10:39 AM

Service pack 3 and better should be able to see the full capacity of your drive.
Since you slipstreamed SP4, you shouldn't have any issues. I would also check the drive manufacturers website for any other issues with installing drives, in Windows 2000, with drives over the 137GB barrier.
Similar to this PDF - http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/tp/137gb.pdf

Joshuacat, Maxtor doesn't list any such problems. The slipstream with W2k and sp4 will enable windows to recognize the 200GB, I knew this. My question is when I get to the part of the installation of W2k where I'm asked about partitioning the hdd, will the window highlighted in yellow with the words "Unpartitioned Space" and the amount of the GB in the unpartitioned space to the right show the 200GB, or will it not because of the 137GB barrier still in effect at that time because the sp4 will not have been installed at that time.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2006 - 09:06 PM

It won't show more than 131GB.

Have you tried to use the MaxBlast 4 utility from Maxtor as described here? - How to use MaxBlast to install an ATA drive in Windows 2000 and XP.

Also, here's the ATA Installation guide from Maxtor.(in PDF) http://www.maxtor.com/en/documentation/ins...ation_guide.pdf
JC

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2006 - 10:50 PM

Thanks Joshuacat, I found that I can partition the hdd using the maxblast4 prior to installing the slipstreamed OS and sp4. Works for me.

#6 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:38 AM

Okay, thanks for letting us know.
JC

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 12:03 PM

While I'm on the subject, here's another aspect of this I looking for an answer for. If the hdd partition size is imposed by the BIOS, how does isntalling the service pack enable it to recognize hdds larger than the 137GB limit?

#8 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 03:54 PM

The Software Translation Driver (Dynamic Drive Overlay) that you installed from Maxtor -Maxblast - will allow you to overcome a hard disk size barrier with your BIOS. This is the reason that you can see the full size of your disk. Windows 2000 also had a limitation prior to SP3 that you overcame by slipstreaming SP4.

Please see the following site about Software Translation Drivers (Dynamic Drive Overlays), and the potential problems with them. Personally, I have not any issues on the computers that I have installed the DDO software on, but they should be noted before you get to far into installation.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/bios/over_DDO.htm

And if you have second thoughts about using the DDO.....

http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor....hp?p_faqid=1360
JC

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:39 PM

I'm beginning to make some sense out of this. The BIOS limits the size of the hdd that it will recognize, but there are several ways to get around this. One way is to update the BIOS, another is to add a BIOS expansion card. The next two are the ones that I have been looking at, obliquely mind you. Those are the LBA-48 which I have mentioned previously, and the other is a Software Translation Driver (Dynamic Drive Overlay). I wasn't aware of what it was at the time, but this is what I used with the Maxblast4 software to partition my 200GB hdd prior to slipstreaming W2k pro and sp4.

Thanks for all the help Joshuacat, I appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Edited by dc3, 23 December 2006 - 11:51 PM.

#10 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2006 - 10:38 AM

No problem. Have a great holiday!
:thumbsup:
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic