Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"shut Down" Time Triples

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 1Bart

1Bart

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:15 PM

Hello Folks!!!---Happy Holidays!!!!

The shutdown time has increased for no apparent reason. I have NOT had to battle any virus' or instances of Spyware. It is fully updated and have ran, in safe mode, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, Windows Defender and Windows Live One Care-Full Scan not in safe mode. Error checked and defragged.

The shut down time has increased from 30 seconds or less to almost 2 minutes. I am in process on switching to FireFox but this issue has surfaced prior to the move.

I know there are bigger problems out there but perhaps there is a simple solution to this and a probable cause. SomeTHING someWHERE made a difference and maybe you can assist in its resolution. TY TY

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:28 PM

Are you getting any error messages? Shutdown problems can be symptomatic of a variety of things to include hardware and software issues (especially if using Roxio’s Easy CD Creator version 5), mismatched RAM, other programs hanging or unresponsive in the background and unsigned device drives.

To get hung processes to end automatically when you shutdown involves making changes in the registry. Always back up your registry before making any changes. If you are not familiar with working in the registry, then you should NOT attempt to make any changes on your own. Improper changes to the registry could adversely affect your computer and render it inoperable. ERUNT is an excellent FREE tool that allows you to to take a snapshot (backup) of your registry before making changes and restore it when needed.

1. Go to Start > Run and type: regedit
2. Navigate to HKEY_USERS\.Default\Control Panel\Desktop
3. Double-click on AutoEndTasks
4. Change the value from 0 to 1
5. Close the registry editor and reboot your machine.

The above registry tweak is sometimes referred to as "Force Exit" to automatically close applications that are not responding at shutdown. When an application fails to respond a dialog box is displayed prompting the user to either end it now or to wait. Enabling the value AutoEndTasks will take care of the non-responding application without user intervention.

Another thing to try is downloading and installing the User Profile Hive Cleanup Service which helps to ensure user sessions are completely terminated when a user logs off. System processes and applications occasionally maintain connections to registry keys in the user profile after a user logs off. In those cases the user session is prevented from completely ending.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2006 - 09:10 AM

Hello and Happy Holidays!!!!

TY sooooo much..There was tons of good info throughout. Still going through it but one point of interest to all WinXP-Home users-Not Pro for the back-up utility comes with THAT version.

It states......The Back-Up utility for WinXP can be found on the installation disc??..And go to "added value" to install it. Has ANYONE received this disc!!?? You can get "the" back-up utility here: http://www.winxptutor.com/ntbackup.htm -- I installed it, used it and it looks and feels like the "real deal". Maybe it is.

I am NOT getting the "Waiting for program to end-End Now or Cancel" type thing though. It goes through the very same procedure as was usual. The only difference that I can see is...During shut down, the drive used to "burp"/engage for maybe 1 sec. Now it is 3 seconds...For whatever THAT is worth. I shut down all programs and close from the "Start" button

Careful tweeking the Registry...As you cautioned and I agree. I do NOT have the "intestinal fortitude" or knowledge to venture there.

I should have included this for the git-go...

WinXP-Home Service Pack2, Compaq PresarioSR1720NX, "Born" with 512MB RAM/upped to 1.5GB-- 4 Slot bank with easy plug-in addition--Plenty of storage--9 months old--runs well--Maybe I shouldn't complain but something has changed...... :thumbsup:

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:33 PM

Open up Task Manager prior to shutdown and click on the Processes tab. Then watch the activity while it shuts down.

Also, here's a link to a troubleshooter: http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 03:35 PM

Hello!!!!-- Happy Holidays!!!!

http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm has many many scenarios. Some of which alter the registry which I "run like ****" from. Additionally, it is hard to decide which one applies.

I am very tempted to employ "User Profile Hive Cleanup Service" but the jury is still out on that. Does this only to effect upon shutdown and does it have ANYTHING to do with the power up? I just believe it is something maybe so obvious that I/we did not look for.

It tends to hang during the "Saving Settings" AND "Windows is Shutting Down" parts. The only "substantial" addition was the "bringing up to speed" of the use of FireFox. And I do not think that would impact this situation.

P. S. This continuously happens from a fresh boot the another. i. e. Doing nothing except booting up and down.

Edited by 1Bart, 23 December 2006 - 04:09 PM.

#6 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2006 - 09:00 AM

BTW....The Task Mgr. disappears to quickly... Isn't there a procedure were you:

In Task Mgr., Selectively "End Processes", to see who the culprit is. I believe I've read about it in this Forum and there was a caution as 2 or 3 processes NOT to "End".

I've seen this and it's type but are hesitant. (From TweekTime Forums

Now for the faster shutdown which has worked every time that I've seen...

Open up REGEDIT and goto "HKCURRENTUSER\Control Panel\Desktop\" and set the key "HungAppTimeout" to 5000(which is default) and make "WaitToKillAppTimeout"
4000 (20000 is default).

Also, go to "HKLOCALMACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\" and set the key "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" to 4000 too. That should make the shutdown complete in 4 secs.

Edited by 1Bart, 24 December 2006 - 10:02 AM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2006 - 09:29 AM

IMO the most likely thing here is that processes aren't terminating gracefully.

You can experiment with the processes in Task Manager (by clicking on the Processes tab). Then right click on each one and select "End process". There are basically 4 things that can happen here:
1) The process will end
2) The process won't end
3) The system will tell you it can't end the process
4) The system will tell you that your system is bleeping down.

As long as you don't have anything open that you want to save - you can terminate any process and the worst thing that'll happen is that the system will reboot.

Those processes that won't terminate gracefully (#2 in my list) are immediately suspect - just because they're not cooperating and don't close gracefully.

From what I've seen the User Profile Hive Cleanup tool doesn't cause any harm - so it should be OK to use it.

The registry tips will decrease your shutdown time - but won't do anything to fix the problem. All they do is force the system to kill the processes earlier than they normally do.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2006 - 11:10 PM

You know...the PLUG would really work......lol lol

The Hive Clean-up tool will be kept in the arsenal. But, does it "Fix" the issue????

The registry adjustments are taboo...for me....and apparently are not a "solution"

I will begin here:...The Processes tab in Task Mgr routine was exactly what I was referring to and you mention that no harm will be done if all is "tucked away". I'll keep sharp notes and report back..

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 08:08 AM

The User Profile Hive Cleanup will most likely help the problem - although it may not be a complete cure.

The User Profile Hive Cleanup service helps to ensure user sessions are completely terminated when a user logs off. System processes and applications occasionally maintain connections to registry keys in the user profile after a user logs off. In those cases the user session is prevented from completely ending.

#10 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 10:45 AM

I'm going to try the "Task Manager" approach first and THEN "resort" to the "Hive Clean-up" fix....I'll post back prior to the Hive manuever and after Task Mgr. thing.....

#11 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 04:58 PM

Ending Processes in Task Manager:

I did NOT touch Image Name "Task Manager" because...you know why....lol
"Explorer" made the icons disappear....
One of the 5 svchost's caused it to reboot

Here is the list of your #3 category "Can't End":---All having the "User Name"= System
  • SMSS
  • Csrss
  • winlogon
  • services
  • lsas
These are your #2 "Won"t End". After clicking"End Process" a Warning window came up..as did with the ones that DID end BUT with these, the"image name" either disappeared and then immediately RE-appeared OR..never disappeared in the first place when "end process was clicked.:
  • wmpnetwk
  • wuauclt
  • SAService
  • aoltpspd
  • aoltsmon
  • System
  • SVCHOST.EXE WITH NO USER NAME...???using 5,847Kb..

#12 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 08:24 PM

This is a tweak to speed up shutdowns.

http://www.pc-speed-up.com/speed_up_windows_shutdown.html

Also ERUNT optimizes registry hives if that can help.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download1267.html

Edited by zbd, 26 December 2006 - 08:30 PM.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 11:59 PM

The svchost.exe with no name is a concern. Can you use Process Explorer (free from here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssExplorer.mspx ) to figure out if it's legitimate?

Also, lsas is a concern - please be sure of the exact spelling of this as it will determine if it's good or bad.

Otherwise those in #3 seem OK to me, as do those in #2

#14 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:01 AM

What operating system are you using?

I see a process that I think doesn't need to be running at all: wmpnetwk.exe This is a process connected with Windows Media Player to share stuff on a network. Is there a way to shut that off in the configuration?

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/wmpnetwk.exe.html

aoltpspd and aoltsmon both have to do with AOL topspeed. Is this something you have to have running?

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintas...brary/aoltpspd/

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintas...brary/aoltsmon/

If your spelling and capitalization are accurate, SAService is related to McAfee SiteAdvisor. Do you have this extension? http://www.greatis.com/appdata/a/s/saservice.exe.htm

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#15 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 01:23 AM

Running WinXP-Home SP2

Indeed, I have McAfee Site Advisor and those AOL High Speed processes are apparently necessary for "some" people, in this residence, still go "there".....Some year I'm going to get rid of everything associated with AOL....Hmmmm...
The wmpnetwk.exe....I'll definitely have to look further into THAT issue!!!! I do not like the concept of sharing files over the internet(malware) at all but we'll see what the real story is on it.

Process Explorer is GREAT...I've been looking for "something" along those lines!! According to ProExp., lsas is LSA(Export Version) by Microsoft..That STILL tells me nothing...lol SO perhaps you can wave your wand over it and let me know.....lol
The svchost with no name is NOT evident now. Perhaps it was a result of the "Ending Process" procedure that I was doing. I did NOT notice it when I first opened Task Mgr. It could have developed as I was deleting other svchost's or others. BUT, it is NOT there now.

Any difference between Security Task Mgr and Process Explorer as not to double-up and possibly confuse the computer?.......Pro. Exp. is already downloaded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users