Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program To Big To Fit In Memory

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ross Zip

Ross Zip

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:01 PM

Every time I try to access any administrative tools, device manager (mmc.exe) and other of these types of small windows components, i get the error "program to big to fit in memory" (command prompt displays message and then for a split second and then quickly disappears), the funny thing is that it only does it on these small files and no big executables, like ie, Firefox, ms office, ad-aware, spy bot... plus no games have this problem.
I have done many Google searches and have not found a working solution to this problem. I have scanned my computer with avast! anti virus, spy-bot, ad-aware, spy ware doctor, and cleaner the registry with registry mechanic. I am truly stumped i am running windows xp pro sp2 with 512 mb ram and about 300mb free, a 700kb file should not take up 300 mb!! I have also defraged my RAM and that did not help. No idea what the problem might be and have tried scanning with my windows disk for corrupt files on my system, none found. Thanks for any help in advance, it is really appreciated. :thumbsup:

Note: my computer was not always like this and i have just recently noticed this problem, but it has been present for some time now and do not know when it first occurred.

Edited by Ross Zip, 21 December 2006 - 10:12 PM.

______
~Ross~

Posted Image

[indent=1]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 22 December 2006 - 06:58 AM

If you to taskmanager ( CTRL ALT DEL) and click on processes can you than see what is taking up your memory?

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:55 PM

I find that the administrative tools use a LOT of memory. How big is your pagefile also called the swap file?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2006 - 03:32 PM

How much free space is left on the hard drive? You may be running out of room for the swap file. This could also be caused by a virus or if an older motherboard the Bios may need to be updated.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#5 Ross Zip

Ross Zip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 03:34 PM

To: Fozzie, There really is nothing taking up to much space, the biggest thing is the brower(ff), like is said before, I have a bout 300 mb of ram available on average.
To: Orange Blossom, I have about 980 mb of pagefile
To: THe Terrorist, I have about 30 gb of free space on a 60 gb hard drive.
But i will try and update my motherboard bios
______
~Ross~

Posted Image

[indent=1]

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2006 - 09:11 AM

Updating the BIOS is a very risky proposition and should only be done if there's a specific problem that's addressed in the list of fixes that the flash was made for. Even then, there's a significant chance that you may hose your mobo.

Since the system worked fine without a BIOS update - why would it need one now? Usually a BIOS flash is needed when you add some new hardware that wasn't compatible with the original BIOS. Is this the case?

I'd suspect that this was either a rogue program, a piece of malware, or insufficient pagefile space. In case it's something that slipped by your scanners, try this free, online scan as a double check: http://safety.live.com/

If that comes up clean, then try opening up Task Manager and going to the Performance tab. Then, open up one of the programs that gives this error and watch the PF graph. Does it show that the pagefile is fully utilized?

If it shows a sudden surge to full - then switch to the Processes tab and double click on the CPU column header. Then try loading the program again to see what programs start taking up a lot of the CPU.

Then try double clicking on the MemUsage column and loading the program to see what programs start hogging the memory.

Finally, you can click on the View menu, and then select "Select Columns" and check the "Virtual Memory Size" check block. Then repeat launching the program to see how the Virtual Memory behaves.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Ross Zip

Ross Zip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 05:21 PM

to usasma: when i launch the program the cpu which was holding steady at about 2 jumped to about 25 every time i launched it, then as usaul i got the same error and the program closed (device manager)

my pagefile is active, but is not in use most of the time because i am not using that much memory. when i open the program the page file graph doesnt even move

I scanned with Microsoft Live and it found 3 things and removed them all, i restarted and i still have the same problem
______
~Ross~

Posted Image

[indent=1]

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 07:56 AM

I'd first try running SFC.EXE. Here's a link to a mini-guide on it: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

If that doesn't work, then I'd try a repair install of XP. Here's a link on how to do it: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Ross Zip

Ross Zip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 04:38 PM

sfc doesnt run and i get the same problem that i get woth everything else, i will try a repair install
______
~Ross~

Posted Image

[indent=1]

#10 Ross Zip

Ross Zip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 02:31 PM

repair install didnt work
______
~Ross~

Posted Image

[indent=1]

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 06:29 PM

Well, then it's most likely a rogue program - I'd suggest terminating the processes that are running (one at a time) and trying to launch the MMC applets after each one. That should tell you which one is taking up the memory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users