Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Windows Xp Home, After Sp2, Safe Mode Doesn't Work, Normal Mode's Fine?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bg fun_*

Guest_bg fun_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 December 2006 - 05:28 AM

After upgrading to SP2 about a month ago so I could take finals on my computer at school, i noticed that my computer wouldn't boot up in safe mode (i just get a blank dark screen and i can hear the computer doing something but giving it a reasonable amount of time it doesn't progress from that screen). It didn't concern me because normal mode was working and i was able to take my tests. But now I want to get to the bottom of this.

I delayed getting sp2 because i had a feeling it would mess up my computer. (i've had other problems too with visual skins but i was able to resolve those).

If it matters, i ran a scan of my system with spyware doctor and it said i had a trojan.dialer and needed to boot in safemode to get rid of it. When I tried, it wouldn't load. Oh, btw, any way to get rid of that trojan.dialer without using safemode?

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2006 - 07:26 AM

Try running Ewido online scan and post the results overhere.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 21 December 2006 - 08:38 AM

There can be several causes for this to include BIOS, software, malware and wireless keyboards.

"Safe Mode" is a troubleshooting mode designed to start Windows with minimal drivers and running processes to diagnose problems with your computer. If you have a wireless keyboard, and your BIOS does not natively support it, then the device drivers for the keyboard need to load for it to function. And since starting a computer in Safe Mode prevents many drivers from loading, you are unable to enter into it since your keyboard does not function if the proper drivers do not load. Try using a PS/2 keyboard - a keyboard with a cable that plugs into the back of your PC. Also there are times when the wireless transmitter and receiver fail to make contact with each other and need to be reset or require battery replacement.

For more suggestions see the Community Newsletter: Where has Safe Mode gone? or try doing a Clean boot in Windows XP. For more info on performing a Clean boot with msconfig see here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Guest_bg fun_*

Guest_bg fun_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 December 2006 - 04:40 AM

fozzie, ewido was baught out by avg. and ewido became avg anti-spyware. I have purchased and use the full version avg anti-spyware and it finds no problems. It was spyware-doctor from pc tools that found the trojan.dialer. And even then, only when i ran a full scan. Since then, i have run quickscans (which still take forever) and that trojan was not found again.

quietman7, my computer is a laptop - hence i was using it to take finals at school. there is no issue with keyboards. I am able to bring up the f8 menu where i have different boot options. but upon selecting safe mode, the system seems to hang, and i just get a dark screen with nothing on it, and the computer makes noise. it happened after getting sp2.

in my situation, i wouldn't recommend using msconfig to force safe mode. if i do that I will just be locked out of my system and will have to re-install windows. I have seen this discussed on many other forums. using msconfig to force safe mode when the computer CAN'T load in safemode makes the computer unusable as safemode still won't work, and at the same time you don't have an option to get back into any other mode.

#5 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 22 December 2006 - 04:44 AM

fozzie, ewido was baught out by avg. and ewido became avg anti-spyware. I have purchased and use the full version avg anti-spyware and it finds no problems. It was spyware-doctor from pc tools that found the trojan.dialer. And even then, only when i ran a full scan. Since then, i have run quickscans (which still take forever) and that trojan was not found again.

You are partly right. The ewido scan is there to find and identify malware. On the site check the on leftside of the screen. Attention use of IE is required

#6 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2006 - 09:41 AM

If you have an old version of Nero InCD installed, that can cause this problem.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:36 PM

1) Are your drivers up-to-date for SP2? It's possible that an out-dated driver that isn't compatible with SP2 could be causing this.
2) You'll have to remove the virus before further troubleshooting.

Online scanners (free):
http://safety.live.com/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users