Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Code 4

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bnrr

bnrr

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 21 December 2006 - 04:50 AM

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to the bleeping computer community.

I have a toshiba satellite pro 4300, and recently I decided to do a clean installed of XP professional.
after XP had finish loading up the setup files for installation I get a message 'File ntkrnlmp.exe could
not be found error code is 4 setup could not continue' :thumbsup:
What is a code 4 :flowers: This is the very first time I had ever seen or receive this kind of message
during an installation. does anyone know what a error code 4 is and how I may be able to solve this
problem? please help, since I do not want to get rid of my laptop it had serve me well for the past
8 years.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 21 December 2006 - 08:29 AM

Is this happening while you are running the installation? If so, it's possible that the CD is damaged/dirty. I'd first try cleaning it with a soft, non-abrasive cloth to remove any dirt/grime that has accumulated.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 bnrr

bnrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2006 - 07:13 AM

Hi usasma
Thanks for the reply. the problem is during the installation, I had the same thought that the CD installation disk is dirty, so I clean it up the
same way you mention in your post, but the problem still the same.
I had even try cleaning the system (fan,circuit board, etc, etc.) still the
same problem. any other suggestion, anyone.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2006 - 07:51 AM

A couple of other suggestions:
1) Try the CD in another system - but it'll be hard to find another system to test it on since it's and installation
2) Try to "repair" the CD using something like the Skip Dr kit that smooths out the surface of the CD
3) Try another CD of the same type or a replacement CD - it should at least let you get into the Windows interface (although it may not accept your product key)
4) Try the Toshiba recovery CD's to boot into Windows (most of those CD's are image based, so you won't see the same setup as you do with XP).
5) Hire a professional to do it for you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 bnrr

bnrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2006 - 03:20 PM

I don't think the problem is the installation disk. I am thinking that it has
something to do with either the hard disk or the RAM. before the problem started and before I decided to do a clean installed I received
a message when I turn on my laptop 'remove incompatible memory in
slot B'. and then I got just a blank dark screen. So what I did is that I
bought a new memory(128g). remove both the memory stick and just
install one instead of two. Now that is when the problem started. sorry
I didn't mention this in my first post. and another thing I also change
the hard drive to a new one yesterday(12/23) and it's the same problem
I also use another installation disk XP home and its still the same problem. as for the hard disk (new) I can seem to hear it or feel it running when touch (system on). what do you think?

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2006 - 04:33 PM

Have you gone into the BIOS to check to see if the memory is recognized? 128 isn't much to run XP on. Edited to add: You may have a problem with drivers for something, too. That's usually what Error Code 4 means. Did you get a driver disk with the laptop?

Edited by Herk, 24 December 2006 - 04:35 PM.

#7 bnrr

bnrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:25 AM

Hi Herk
Yes I did check the BIOS and it is listing as 19xxxxxx. before the problem began XP was running on 128 without any problems for the past 9 months since I installed it. I do not have driver disk for the laptop since it was given to me as is. I did a BIOS update but problem still there. I think I need to test the memory, know any website that I would allowed me to perform laptop test for RAM.

THANKS MAN

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 07:36 AM

Here's a free memory test that you can run by booting from a CD or floppy: http://www.memtest86.com/

Let the test run for at least 2 or 3 passes (overnight is better). If you get memory errors, chances are that the new stick is bad. Try removing it and running the test again to see if the errors recur.

#9 bnrr

bnrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 05:46 AM

Hey guys Happy New Year
Thank you for the valubable information in helping me out with my laptop problems. I did the memory test, and it so happens that it failed.
I didn't take it seriously because as I mention in my past post that I had
installed a new RAM, now I guess it is a bad RAM even it is new. now my
only problem is finding a new replacement.

Once again thanks for the help.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 08:20 AM

Check with the seller to see if they'll consider RMA'ing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users