Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Making Switch To Firefox-security Reasons......

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 1Bart

1Bart

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:25 PM

Hello Folks!!!

The consensus is that Firefox is safer than IE6 or 7 for that matter. I have it downloaded version 1.8.0.7: 2006090918 but NOT configured properly. I understand that I should keep IE because some sites require it. I wish to make the move though.

I would like to configure Firefox for security re: pop-ups, Scripting, Java issues, Cookies, signed/unsigned---YOU folks know all the issues.

Can you transfer the "favorites" list precisely?

You guys/gals are doing the Lords work here...I really do NOT know how you keep up.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:27 PM

Click on Tools/ click on options/ click on general tab and put check in box to set firefox as default browser; click content tab and put check in all boxes except "for the originating web site only"; click on downloads tab and put check in "show download manager when a download manager begins"; click on Advanced tab/ uncheck the two boxes under "accessibility"/ check the three boxes under "browsing"/click on update tab/ check the three boxes under "automatically check for updates to:"/ under "when updates to Firefox are found" check "ask me every time"; click on security tab/ check the three boxes under "protocols"/ Under certificates check "select one automatically"; click privacy tab/ check box next to "allow sites to set cookies", check box "for the originating site only" and uncheck "unless I have removed cookies set by the site". In the drop down window select "ask me every time"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Install plugins for Java, media programs
Install Site Advisor extension
Install NoScript extension (blocks driveby malware installs and advertising)
Install Adblock extension
Install flash plugins
Install IE View Lite extension
Check the extensions that are available. There are hundreds. The ones I listed here are safe and updated regularly.
Other extensions are not up to date. Always check the comments by users before installing a new extension.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My understanding is that this is a secular site and all religious and nonreligious members are encouraged to participate. Helping others is a human trait shared by all.
Happy Holidays to you and yours!

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:36 PM

1Bart,

I must bow down to you... You are one of the rare posts I've seen that specifically states that you want out of IE and, you're moving on to Firefox. Well done. And you've made one of the wisest computer/Internet decisions you'll ever make..... :thumbsup:

Even if you still have IE,, just don't use it. It won't hurt being on your computer, and ONLY use IE for comparing web pages or for browser troubleshooting. Nothing more, and nothing less.

Your security has just gotten better while you're browsing online. I'm personally thanking you for switching to Firefox.

I believe you made my day.

[EDIT =Added Info]
When you add on to your Firefox, don't forget the ShowIP addon. Know the ip of every-single web page you visit.

Edited by Walkman, 20 December 2006 - 09:41 PM.

#4 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:20 PM

Hello!!!!--- And..Thanks a GIG!!!!!

I breezed through buddy215s 1st paragraph..... Is the "Java Plug-in" the same as what I already have in the computer?..Or must you re download for FF. Flash Plug-ins were mentioned. Could you possibly expound slightly on that?
Walkman....I guess I'm not alone in this choice...Thanks for the encouragement and the add-on....

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:28 PM

You can get your Firefox Plugins here:
Plugins

A couple of tutorials you might find useful:
Enhancing Firefox with Browser Extensions
Switching from Internet Explorer to Firefox

Here's a few more Firefox resources you can check out:
1. Firefox Web Browser - Pipelining - will help speed up Firefox
2. About:config entries
3. How To Modify Hidden Preferences Using about:config
4. Tweakfactor - Firefox Tweak Guide
5. TweakGuides - Firefox Tweak Guide
6. Firefox Tuning
7. Extensions
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2006 - 12:57 AM

If you already have Java installed on your computer, uninstall it, and let your Firefox install it for you. It doesn't have to be installed by IE.

#7 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2006 - 08:48 AM

Hello!!

Many, many thanks to all!!

tg1911....Your post will be of "S O M E" interest. lol I am certain that many of my "issues" WILL be resolved there..TY

Walkman...I "bow to you too!!" for your words of encouragement. Java issue...If I uninstall and then re-install through Firefox, will I lose my "java benefit" while in IE?
Make sure you check out tg1911s #1 resource- I found an additional increase on top of just the move to Firefox......

Thought I posted this already...Where it went..I do not know......

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2006 - 11:19 AM

Use Ff to install JavaRuntimeEnvironment, then uninstall prior versions.
One of the very great things about Firefox is that you can tailor its functionality to meet your own needs. There is a very handy plug-in (extension) that will allow you to open a page in IE with a simple click. I am sure many other members have their own favourites.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 04:07 PM

Hello ALL!!!--- Happy Holidays!!!!!

Spending more time with Ff and "customizing" where I am beginning to feel more comfortable.

I was able to import my IE Favorites which was of a primary concern. FYI- I was able to accomplish this from a link in their e-mail confirmation. I am sure it could have been accomplished otherwise but it was from that e-mail that I did it.

The Java "switch" worked out just fine. buddy215 coupled with tg1911 really got the show on the road especially the PIPELINING....Hey..Free speed!!!!!!..lol

ONE ISSUE though....When making a page a "Bookmark/Favorite"...I though you were to get a "Manage Bookmarks" from the Bookmark drop down?--As per one of the tutorials/Tweeks sites. I am working around it but you seem to HAVE TO log in to "del-icio-us" to get anything accomplished...but I AM able to save. I have Firefox2 which may account for the differences.

Perhaps there is a more current tutorial for bookmarking....?

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 07:11 PM

On Ff2.0+, the path is Bookmarks/Organize bookmarks to get to the manager. To bookmark a page, just use Control D. Note also: Ff automatically keeps the last 5 day's versions of bookmarks if you need to restore them.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,596 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 08:04 PM

Now that you have switched to Firefox 2.0 you should read the info in this link and follow their recommendations for blocking third party cookies (tracking and spyware) as it is different from the info I gave you earlier.
http://www.ghacks.net/2006/11/03/how-to-di...ies-in-firefox/

In this link is why I will not allow the antiphishing tool when I install Firefox 2.0 sometime next April.
http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2005...er_me_abou.html

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#12 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:20 PM

Thanks for the heads-up, buddy215, on 3rd party cookies. I went for the add-on choice as it may have to be updated later and I assume this might help..... Not installing until April....I didn't realize this was so new(beta)...If I would have known.......

Bookmarks...Bookmarks...
Any of these actions will open the "Add Bookmark" window....so far....lol
  • Ctl D...Thanks John
  • Right Click and select "Add bookmark"
  • Click "Bookmarks" in tool bar and select "Bookmark This Page"
In this "Add Bookmark" window you can change the name of the site and assign a "Tag". If you organize your "Favorites" in folders, these "Tags" represent folders. They will be listed in the upper section of the left pane(Tag section) in alphabetical Tag/Folder order.

The name of the site gets listed in the lower pane(Bookmarks section) in alphabetical SITE name order. Therefore, the "Bookmark" section of the left pane is much larger than the "Tags" section because there is no grouping of sites into Tags/Folders That is, if you do not have every one of your folders/tags open.

BUT....Why do I have to logged into "del-icio-us" to get any of this accomplished!!!???? I may have done something wrong from the start but this is how it is playing out for me....

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,596 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:41 PM

There is some info here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3615/

Do you have a del.icio.us extension in Firefox? If it is listed in the extension list and you don't want it just uninstall it.

#14 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:41 PM

"Some info"??? Yeah SOME INFO...

Answered many of my questions as del.icio.us DOES change all the rules of the game. Also put me on to their "Add-On" site where everybody should, before downloading an extension, read others comments. THIS, I have heard before.......Here is the one for del.icio.us for your viewing pleasure--- https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3615/

"Tools"..."Add Ons" will give you all of YOUR Add-ons and the ability to update all and/or remove them.

Edited by 1Bart, 23 December 2006 - 10:51 PM.

#15 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 12:21 PM

Del.icio.us is history.What is the real purpose of THAT anyway. I just wanted access to my Bookmarks/Favorites which is just fine now including the import from IE6.

3rd party cookies are set according to http://www.ghacks.net/2006/11/03/how-to-di...ies-in-firefox/ and appear to be working as intended.

"No Script" Options--- Seeing too many recommendations from too many sources. What seems to be the consensus from here, particularly the advanced tab. I trust THIS place!

The links that I have received from here have been a tremendous help and are considered "golden"..TY

"Add-On Paradise"...You really have to watch yourself.....

"History"..."Recently closed tabs feature" has come in handy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users