Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Open .pdf Files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Angelique

Angelique

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:36 PM

I used to be able to open .pdf file. I installed the updated version of Adobe Reader 7.0. When I try to open a .pdf file, a Web Driver installer comes up. I guess the web installer is called WildTangent. I have Norton Anti Virus on my machine and Ad-Aware SE Personal for spyware. What do you suggest that I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:04 PM

WildTangent is installed by many programs, and from my experience, you don't want it on your computer at all. Something you installed installed that program. If you have the original cd , or can without a doubt reinstall your cd or dvd drive, do it. On my dics for my dvd burner, it installs that crap too, and as far as I'm concerned, it's used to spy on you.

As far as opening .pdf files. I'd forget about the Adobe, and use another FREE .pdf viewer called "Foxit Viewer", which you can get here: http://www.foxitsoftware.com

If the Foxit solves your problem, just uninstall the Adobe .pdf reader........ and NEVER install it again.

But, again, there are many softwares that install that WildTangent........ and it's been installed by something that you have on disc. Whatever you used your original discs to install, Uninstall them, and try again.

This time use these tools.

Replendent Registrar Advanved Registry Manager
http://www.resplendence.com/registrar
Replendent Registrar is yet, another very good registry cleaner and manager. The latest version checks for hidden registry entries and can be used as a CLSID lookup utility. This has many advanced features, which makes it needed even more. Although this is not actually a FULL FREE product, the lite version is FREE, but some features are disabled. But for the average joe, this will be a very useful tool.

Search for the word WildTangent after uninstalling whatever, and it should find any and all residue of it. Wen it does, use it to wipe it out of your registry.

Another tool to use is:
Eusing Registry Cleaner
http://www.eusing.com
Eusing registry cleaner is a fast and FREE, and most importantly, very good at cleaning out bad registry entries. Even if you use other registry cleaners, you should definitely add this one to your list. It will find other junk that many other registry cleaners miss.

#3 Angelique

Angelique
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:19 PM

As far as I can remember the only disc I use in my Dell computer is the ones that came with the PC. As far as uninstalling I am confused. Could you go a little bit more into detail?

Thanks Angie

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:27 PM

Please read the info in this link and decide whether you want to keep Wild Tangent.
http://www.pchell.com/support/wildtangent.shtml

Happy Holidays!

Edited by buddy215, 20 December 2006 - 08:28 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:39 PM

Have WildTangent been on your computer for some time or is it that you're just now noticing it? It has an icon that is placed on your desktop when installed with whatever got installed on your computer. If it's not on your desktop, then that means that the icon was purposely removed so you don't notice it.

Download the Respendent, and search for WildTangent, and when it finds it, delete the keys and the references of that word.

If you want to just check as to what program you have that installed it, just do this....

Goto you Start>Programs>.. then go from program to program listing and look for the WildTangent icon.

or

Do a search for WildTangent using the Windows search function and see what folders that word references to. It should find it that way to. If you do find it, you should document the program/folders they're listed in, then delete them....... but you're going to still need to use a registry cleaner to clean them completely from your computer.

Uninstalling means to take off a program you put on, by clicking the Start>Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs icon. Then find the program you no longer want on your computer..... you click on it,, and to the right of it, you'll see a button that says Change/Remove on it.

Edited by Walkman, 20 December 2006 - 08:42 PM.

#6 Angelique

Angelique
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:45 PM

It has been on my computer for quite some time. I did go in control panel and deleted alot of programs that I did uninstall Adobe 7.0 and WildTalagent was in there also. 4.0 seem to work fine. I am going to download what you told me and see if that helps. Thanks for your advice.

Angie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users