Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Keys Mixup

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jdukze

jdukze

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:30 PM

[font=Arial]
My keyboards keys are mixed up. the @ key has become the " key, which means I have to press
the " key to get the @ sign on my keyboard, I am so confused and this is becoming so annoying, please anybody got any bright ideas, I am using WinXP Service Pack 2, an ASUS motherboard.
Please help me get out of this.
Jdukze

Edited by jdukze, 20 December 2006 - 07:31 PM.

JDUKZE

The only man who never makes mistakes is the man who never does
anything.

Theodore Roosevelt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:16 PM

I found this possible fix on the web:
http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

found this, too:
Check whether ctfmon is running. Alt+Shift gets the keyboard into weird states sometimes with that part of Office running. See MSFT KB Article ID 282599 and 870774
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and this:
http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t280141.html

Happy Holidays!
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 jdukze

jdukze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:16 PM

Thanks buddy but What does this mean "See MSFT KB Article ID 282599 and 870774"?
JDUKZE

anything.

Theodore Roosevelt

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:27 PM

I had that same problem before too.

Office has nothing to do with this. It's a key-combination that was used to activate this. I know, because for a few hours or so, every key I pressed displayed a different character.

If you haven't tried it yet, just reboot your computer.

Now that I've read this topic, I would like to know what key-combinations causes this. It is indeed a key-combination.

I freaked out when I was typing and my CAPS became caps.

Basically, it switched from upper keys to lower keys, and when you pressed the Shift key, it reversed the keys again.

I know... it's a either between the key combinations or, how long you're holding a key down and hitting other keys.

I feel you on this on.

And this is nothing that has to have software installed to fix, or a virus (I don't think) or anything else. But a key-combination.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:37 PM

They refer to these Microsoft help and support web pages:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282599

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870774
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:14 PM

They refer to these Microsoft help and support web pages:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282599

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870774

I've checked out both of those links, and guess what?

They are a bunch of garbage links to nothing at hand. Neither one of them specifically states the
problem
reaction
solution

to the keyboard text changes problem. If I overlooked something, please point it out to me, so I can correct myself.

But for me... if I'm not mistaken, all I've done was rebooted my computer and my problem was fixed. As technical as I am, I know I didn't search on MS web site, nor did I do anything, except reboot my computer.

Don't get me wrong now, I have never had it ever happen again, and I do have Office myself, but it didn't take anything to fix my keys back to where they should be.

But, again, show where in those links where they specifically state the fact that your keyboard keys may change, by using any program (if you're referring to that) or something else.

Is is possible that your key-combinations with Office installed could cause this? I won't debate on that issue. But, like I said, it only happened to me once, and I know for sure I wasn't using any of MS products (except their OS), and it happened to me.

I have spare hard drives with os's on them, and I'd be glad to re-create this if I know what exactly causes this.

Lastly on this: If this is a Ms problem, there is more than enough reasons to break away from them.

Why don't they update their help system that's built into all of the os's running when people update their computers. They want you to keep updating, but at the same time, they won't update their help system so people can download and keep updated on the help issues. I wonder why?.. probably because they want people to swarm their site and look and look for answers that may not be there.

How can you advise people to keep updated software on their computers, but it's so hard for you to keep updated help on their computers? Some people will have problems whereas they won't be able to go online. Have anyone ever thought about that? Everybody don't want to have to go to web sites just to get answers where they have help files built into the programs,,,, but yet and still,,, they never update their help files.... Totally amazing. And I mean totally amazing. Man is so smart, he's dumb.

UPDATE: Still, nothing on those links specifically informs of the switched keys function. It could be me. Maybe I just don't understand, but that isn't my case here. I can find nothing at all that tells or gives solutions to fixing mixed key functions on your keyboard.

If any of you specifically find it, I'll announce you as the honorary person of the year. HURRY, there's only 11 days left.

#7 jdukze

jdukze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:31 PM

Me too mate, i couldnt find anything on resolving the issue, I totally agree with you...
JDUKZE

anything.

Theodore Roosevelt

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2006 - 08:53 AM

The info I provided was found on the WEB. The articles mentioned are included in the advise that was given. For instance, if the problem was caused by ctfmon then the article cited had info on how to disable it from running. The links were provided to those articles not as fixes for the problem but in answer to a specific question asked by Jdukze.
Using info gained only by personal experiences, is limiting and could have dire consequences. For instance, would anyone only want to be treated for brain/mental disorders by doctors who are experiencing the same disorder?

#9 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,637 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2006 - 11:04 PM

OK, guys, let's keep this on topic, shall we?

This forum is not about critiquing another member's help. If you don't like what someone has posted, offer something better. There is no need to comment on someone else's help or say my fix is better than your fix. There is a prohibition against instigating an argument in the Forum Rules. We take it very seriously, so I suggest you all review the rules again and abide by them.

I don't know what the solution is, but if I did I like to give step by step instructions or suggest specific things to try. Links to other sites are OK, but to me it is more helpful if we can boil it down to how it may relate to the question of the original poster.

We also need feedback. jdukze, did you try the suggestion in the videohelp.com page? If you are unsure of what to do please ask. When we know what works and what doesn't work we can progress toward a solution to the problem. Let's all stick to that.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#10 jdukze

jdukze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 07:11 PM

Thanks alot guys, Buddy, Walkman, sorry if this topic caused an argument, I managed to fix the problem it was something to do with the language settings, thanks again for your great help.

Edited by jdukze, 26 December 2006 - 07:12 PM.

JDUKZE

anything.

Theodore Roosevelt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users