Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Site Icons In Favourites

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Constantine

Constantine

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 06:19 PM

Hello Whiz Kids,

I am running the latest version of Internet Explorer. I have collected a list of links in Favourites. Many of these links have a site specific icon in front of the link. This appears after the first time I visit the site.

Other links don't have this icon. Some of these sites are large organisations with big web sites. Some links had icons which have reverted back to the generic icon for all sites. Google's icon is no longer the famous "G". In my case it is an open book icon.

I am confused. Can anyone explain what my browser's problem is? I like icons. Makes it easier to locate links at a glance. I have tried threatening my Explorer, but it pays not the slightest bit of attention to me.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Constantine
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 06:54 PM

The info below was collected a year and half ago.

The unique icons are stored in the TIF (Temporary Internet Files) cache. When you empty the cache, the unique icons are deleted, and the default IE icon automatically replaces them.

Depending on your version of Windows, and the options selected, the TIF can be emptied by:

1. Rebooting or logging off
2. Clicking Internet Options> General > Delete Files
3. Using third-party software, such as Webroot's Window Washer.

In order to keep the unique icons that were originally attached, you would have to move the icon into a permanent folder:

1. Locate the icon by clicking Start > Find (or Search) > Files > fav*.ico.
2. Copy and paste the icon file to another folder, such as C:\my icons.
3. If you wish, rename the icon file to something meaningful. The extension should remain .ico.
4. Follow the instructions below to point the bookmark to the permanent icon file.

It is possible to customize the icon for any bookmark that you wish:

1. Right-click the bookmark, click Properties > Change Icon
2. Select an Icon from those displayed, or
3. Change the filename to another icon file and select an icon from those displayed, or
4. Click the Browse button, select another icon file, and select an icon from those displayed.
5. Click OK.

There is also a program that will allow you to save the favicons.ico (Favorite Icons) permanently in a different folder and reassociate your favorites with the stored icons:

FavOrg - Restore and Save Favorite Icons (Line 108)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Constantine

Constantine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:54 PM

Thanky you buddy..That information was most helpful and specific.

I appreciate that very much. Hopefully my problem will be resolved.

Many Thanks

Constantine

#4 Constantine

Constantine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:10 PM

A further question is why some sites do not generate an icon at all, no matter how many times I go there. In these cases I have no icon to save as per your instructions.

As I mentioned earlier, these are sites that should have icons as they are large organisations. For example www.download.com No icon

Constantine

Edited by Constantine, 20 December 2006 - 08:13 PM.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:57 PM

Before I switched to Firefox I had a program that handled the icons for IE. Sorry, it has been too long ago to remember what it was but I bet someone who uses one will respond to your question. Incidentally, Firefox retains the icons in their bookmarks/favorites when you delete the cache files, etc.
Get safe, get Firefox!
Happy Holidays to you and yours!
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Constantine

Constantine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:08 PM

Thanks for that,

Sadly, this is a work computer and explorer is what I am stuck with.

Have a wonderful Christmas you and all Bleeping computer people.

Constantine

#7 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:12 PM

Hi Constantine :trumpet:

Just because a corporation or organization is big doesn't mean they are going to necessarily have a favicon (favorite icon) for their site. They have to create and put it into their web page coding themselves and well... not all businesses seem to realize that people like you or I like to have that visual aid in recognizing a link in our favorites file. They are either too cheap, too lazy or too dumb :thumbsup: to put the little extra expense and effort into their web site.

The information buddy gave you was written for IE6 but does still mostly apply to IE7. IE7 has changed how it handles its favicons though. It should save the favicons as part of the favorite file now, just try opening your old favorites and any sites that have them should put their icons back on your shortcut and they should stay there even after you clean out your temp files.

If they do not you can still copy any favicons from IE's temporary internet file cache (C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files), rename them and save them in a folder someplace to customize your favorites yourself. You will have to set your folder options to show hidden files and folders to navigate to this folder or just do this in IE's Menu Bar Tools > Internet Options > Browsing History Settings > View Files .

If you do customize your favorites with a different icon than the web site uses you must set your shortcuts properties to read only after you have changed the icon or it will change back the next time you visit that web site.

Merry Christmas to you to Constantine :flowers:

Edited by Ronbo, 20 December 2006 - 10:18 PM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

#8 Constantine

Constantine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:44 PM

Thank you Ronbo,

Once again, you are THE MAN:)

Thats great information. When I get some time here I will play around and see what I can do. I may even send a few abusive emails to the cheapskates at some of these organisations with no icon.

But one thing..what about Google?..Im getting an open book as an icon...SHOW ME THE G!!

Any thoughts?

Constantine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users