Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Nasty

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hodag

hodag

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 05:15 PM

When I updated my Norton AV signatures the other day, it started to flag a file that had been on my computer for at least a month or two (cause I can find it in some full disk backups that I took). Since Norton cleaned it immediately, I don't have all the information that I would like to post here but here is what I have:

File Name: SFMAPI.EXE (not to be confused with SFMAPI.DLL which is a valid Windows file)

Norton said it was a trojan and it kept trying to load. I never noticed it running in my task manager before, but it was certainly trying to load constantly until NAV finally killed it. Something hooked it because I was unable to delete the file manually so I wonder what it was up to.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:20 PM

Try install,update and a scan in SAFE MODE, How to start Windows in Safe Mode
with SUPERantispyware (Home User version) from HERE
See if it finds and deletes (quarantines) anything.
Let us know
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users