Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Adapter Question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 im_no_good_with_computers

im_no_good_with_computers

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 03:03 PM

im getting a new dell in the mail in a few days and i need it to get internet wirelessly
i have a d-ling wireless router in my house that another computer uses wireless internet from
when i go to buy a wirelss adapter for my new dell does it have to be the same brand as the router?
and also i ve never installed an adapter before
what do you do does it come with software to install?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 04:05 PM

Brand names are interchangeable, meaning you can use a Linksys router with a D-Link wireless card. I preferred Netgear for a while, but they messed up their drivers and I've been having problems ever since. You can get a card that requires you to open your computer or you can get one that plugs into a USB slot without the need to get inside the case.

3939.png

#3 dogslikeus

dogslikeus

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 04:48 PM

i have a netgear wireless adapter that plugs into a pci slot on my mobo and has a little antenna that sticks out the back. i've had good luck with it, so far.

read the manual that it comes with and it should walk you through installation :thumbsup:

#4 im_no_good_with_computers

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 11:18 PM

i thought wireless adapters were usb?
can i get a usb one or are they bad?

Edited by im_no_good_with_computers, 20 December 2006 - 11:18 PM.

#5 im_no_good_with_computers

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 11:37 PM

are the usb adapters only for notebooks?
i want one of those it looks more easy to use and install

Edited by im_no_good_with_computers, 20 December 2006 - 11:51 PM.

#6 dogslikeus

dogslikeus

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2006 - 12:24 AM

i'm sure they work for desktops and laptops. i think the only disadvantage of a usb wireless adapter would be the usb bottleneck. i'm not sure what the max transfer rate is on usb ports, but a card that plugs into a mobo will have higher data transfer rates. i'm sure it's negligible, though.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:24 PM

USB adapters are much easier to install if you have a free USB port. I suggest using a USB 2.0 compatible adapter and plug it into a USB 2.0 socket on the computer. Most newer computers come with these. This should limit the bottleneck if you have a really fast internet connection. Most users will do just fine with this kind of setup.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users