Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Internert Security...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SarasotaHuskie

SarasotaHuskie

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 02:18 PM

I have a new Dell with Norton Internet Security 2006 on it and it won't let me send e-mail unless I disable Norton Internet Security. Disabling the Norton Firewall, AntiVirus, e-mail scanning etc doesn't help. Both Symantec and Dell have been less than helpful. Any ideas? XP Home OS.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 02:36 PM

Is this the trial version?

if it is, I would recommend looking at a free antivirus, such as Avira, AVG or Avast, also there are several good free firewalls. Here is a link to a forum topic here on Bleepingcomputer that has an extensive list of excellent free programs:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 SarasotaHuskie

SarasotaHuskie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 03:29 PM

Thanks for the info. It is the trial version of Norton, and I highly doubt that I'll convert it to paid.

My earlier versions of Norton worked fairly well, what happened to them?

I use Adaware and have a paid license to Software Doctor. Any suggestions for a mix
and match suite from those lists that will give fairly complete protection to a Windows XP machine?

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:48 PM

Hello SarasotaHuskie and welcome to BC, I'd suggest ...........
First I would download AVG free and firewall (or wall of your choice),Spybot S&D, and spyware blaster Save them to desktop to install and update later. Keep the AdAware

Then follow these instructions form the Forum Tutorial Removal instructions for most Symantec Norton products

Now go to your desktop and install the AVG & firewall. Spybot & blaster. Don't forget to update immmediately. Also as these are free you'll need to update them manually about once a week. Thy are excellent programs.....
You can also add SUPERantispyware to compliment Software Doctor

As you can see there are tutorials for each product on the freeware page...

Edited by boopme, 20 December 2006 - 07:51 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:22 PM

If you want automatic updating of the anti virus, try avast once registered, it is good for one year, and the boottime scan/removal feature is excellent.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 SarasotaHuskie

SarasotaHuskie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2006 - 09:38 AM

Thanks for the advice old and boop, it's a real help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users