Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Proret.msi File For Ms Office Xp Pro

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dcanaday

dcanaday

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 12:43 PM

I use MS Office XP Professional, version 2002. I installed it a long time ago, but this problem has been popping up only in the last few months.

Whenever I start my computer or whenever I try to open Powerpoint, Word or Excel (haven't tried it with Access yet.) I get a pop up that says it is trying to open MS Office. This takes a couple of minutes, but eventually I get a final pop up that says it cannot find PRORET.MSI and I should put in the install disk and browse for the file. The problem is I am a serviceman stationed overseas and if I even have the install disk, it is in storage with everthing else I have in the US.

I can still use MS Office. After I click cancel on the final pop up, the program I wanted comes up. However, it comes up empty even if I clicked on a particular document. I then have to search for the document I want from the program I want to use it in. I hope I'm making sense here. Basically, if I click on a Word document, I have to endure a bunch of pop ups, click cancel, then Word will come up but not the document. Then I re-locate the document using the Word software.

I suppose I can live with this, but I shouldn't have to so I'm hoping someone can help me.

I actually found a version of this file on the internet and saved it on my computer. The next time the pop up came up, I browsed on my own hard drive and found the file. It didn't accept that and the problem still exists.

Thanks,
Don

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:52 PM

Have you trieed renaming the file 'proret.msi' and seeing if it accepts that.

Have you tried to download and reinstall from MSFT, may need the key

Can someone stateside get you the product key for owner ship proof
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 dcanaday

dcanaday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2006 - 05:02 AM

Have you trieed renaming the file 'proret.msi' and seeing if it accepts that.

-- I'm not sure what you mean. The name of the file I downloaded was 'proret.msi.'

Have you tried to download and reinstall from MSFT, may need the key

-- First thing I tried. They don't offer it.

Can someone stateside get you the product key for owner ship proof

-- I really don't have any relatives near where my stuff is in storage and I'm not sure where among the storage it would be, if I still even have it. It would be asking a lot of whoever I tasked to dig through my stuff. In any case I don't think the product key would do me any good because I don't even have the install disk to begin with.

I did ask around some of my friends if they had an install disk. Like myself, none of them brought that with them. I suppose I could ask our commo section, but I don't think we are using Office XP at work and even if we were, it would be putting them in an awkward position if I asked to borrow government software for personal reasons. Especially since I outrank them.

I guess I am just in a pickle.

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 21 December 2006 - 06:01 AM

Hi dcanaday.
Go here, download and save the full 57.5 mb SP3 update for Office to your drive. (OfficeXpSp3-kb832671-fullfile-enu.exe)

After the download is complete, double click to install. If you're lucky, you won't be prompted for a cd and it should take care of your problem.

#5 dcanaday

dcanaday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2006 - 09:25 AM

HitSquad,

Thanks for trying to help. I tried what you said and it just didn't work. After installing the same pop ups occurred. The last one was that the service pack failed to update.

One bit of good news. After downloading the Startup Controller from Mike Lin's web page I unchecked the box that had MS Office starting up every time I started the computer. I haven't really solved the problem because if I want to use MS Office I still have to go through the whole pop up sequence, but at least I don't have to deal with it each time I start the computer.

Take care,
Don

Edited by dcanaday, 21 December 2006 - 09:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users