Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Older Computer Now Has High Speed - But Has An Explorer Error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bernie70

Bernie70

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 11:48 AM

Good day,
My father's older desktop with Win98 now has high speed. Once he got it, I helped him out with installing all the necessary security programs that BC has recommended and that I know work wonderfully. I also updated his windows with the 26 or so critical updates he needed since he'd never done that ever.

The problem he has now is when the computer starts up and he clicks on Explorer it gives him the "Explorer has performed an illegal funciton" message......."...then you click "close"...then the screen goes blank for a second, then everything comes back to normal (it seems like) with some of the icons on the bottom right missing except the Sygate Firewall icon, the AVG Free AV program icon, and the Speaker icon. The rest of his icons (i don't remember what they are....i'll list them in an edit)....go missing.

The good part is that he can then click on explorer and it works. For some reason, he prefers IE than Firefox although I've explained the downside of using IE.

If you know of any solution or tips to use to help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it....Thanks so much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 01:11 PM

Hi Bernie70,

For starters, I would install Firefox, and make sure it works well. If it does(I'm sure it will), just explain to him that he has to temporarily use Firefox until you fix his IE problem. That way he'll get the feel of it, and I'm sure he'll like it.

At the same time, what you may want to do is to try to reinstall/update your IE. You can sometimes run into file corruptions during updates. It happens. Just give it another go at, and see how it turns out. In the meantime, make sure you already have the Firefox up and ready to go, and let him take a surf on it. I've gotten quite a few people to use Firefox instead of IE, which seems like an impossible task when people are used to one thing, and then have to change over to another.

#3 Bernie70

Bernie70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 04:16 PM

Thanks Walker, Firefox works great on his computer. I failed to mention that his computer has win98 (NOT Second Edition). Not sure why, but do you think this may have something to do with it? I was searching around microsoft.com for some possible fix, and all I could come up with was a Service Pack 1 for IE 6.0. I thought about downloading it, but IE works fine after that annoying error message after you first click on it. So I thought it might be his OS, although all the critical updates were installed.

BTWj, the icons from his tray that disappear are the Task Scheduler, Spyware Guard, Opera icon, and the resolution icon...No real biggie I suppose. Thanks again for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users