Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Retarded Wireless

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Blaze McGee

Blaze McGee

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 11:27 AM

I currently have a home build PC as well as a brand new 15inch MacBook Pro. Both have wireless (PC- i added a wireless card myself, Mac- onboard wireless) and i have a linksys wireless G router downstairs connected to my parents computer. The problem I'm having is that randomly, my PC will lose wireless connection and has to reconnect. And at the same time, my Mac stays connected nonstop. The random disconnects are really messing with my work, as well as my play.. and idk what to do

if anyone could give me some tips, or perhaps someone might know who i can see to try and fix it, that would be awesome.

Thanks again

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 12:25 PM

Are there any wireless things near the wireless computer with the problems - such as wireless phones, etc?

It the wireless antenna on the router pointed in the proper direction? If it's pointed at the wireless device you'll have a hard time with the signal.

Does it work (and stay working) when you put it close to the router?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Blaze McGee

Blaze McGee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 01:17 PM

the only wireless thing near my PC is my cell phone. My mac is in the middle of the room..

I will check to see if the router is pointed in the right direction after i finish posting this...

And i cant really move it closer to the router.. I am maybe 50 feet or so away from it, about the closest i can get... I will try moving the router some and reangling the antenna...

But if those ideas dont work, is there anything else i can do? Or someone i can call to come look at my setup?

#4 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 21 December 2006 - 12:29 AM

I've had problems with the Linksys router too. I think the main probem is the walls and other things blocking the path... like usasma said, bring your lappy close to the router and see if it can keep a connection. Also, upgrade the routers firmware (linksys.com). The firmware fixed many things in my case.

If nothing works, maybe look into modded firmware... they can boost the signal, but causes more heat (like overclocking your router....lol! Not recommended though)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users