Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing The Adobe Acrobat/reader Icon

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Philip926

Philip926

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:16 AM

Does anybody know how to change the default Adobe Acrobat or Reader icon? I've tried going to Control Panel > Folder Options > File Types and trying to change the pdf icon but Adobe just refuses to budge! I can change the icons of other programs but not this one. Adobe Reader 8 has a very cool-looking red icon which I would like to have displayed in all my pdf files.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Philip926, 20 December 2006 - 09:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:02 AM

If you want to change it for just the desktop link - just create a shortcut to it, and then change the icon for the shortcut.

If you're trying to change the icon for all the file associations with .pdf files - it may have been locked by Adobe. You'll have to take ownership of Adobe stuff until you find the one that affects this.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Philip926

Philip926
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:58 PM

John:

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm puzzled as to why Adobe would want to lock all the pdf file associations. So how do I "take ownership" of the Adobe stuff? Does that involve editing the Registry?

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:17 PM

If I were you, I'd uninstall Adobe and use Foxit Viewer: You can find it at http://www.foxitsoftware.com.

It's pretty much does everything that Adobe does, and I've seen no need to use that over-bloated, spying, trying to connect to the Internet to update software any longer.

Trust me on this.. use the Foxit Viewer, and you'll not go back to that over-bloated Adobe .pdf viewer.

Adobe and Foxit does the same things, with the exception that Adobe has a much larger file size. I guess it's the other crap installed that you don't know about and (or) stuff you don't even need. Either way, uninstall Adobe... you're not missing out on anything. All you want to do is view .pdf files.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 23 December 2006 - 07:12 AM

I haven't experimented with the Adobe stuff (I use FoxIt myself) - so I really don't know the exact methodology to change it. I'd suspect that you've gotta look around the registry for the favicon file for Adobe (backup your registry first).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 kolobob

kolobob

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 24 December 2006 - 02:58 AM

Walkman -- thanks for your suggestion -- I was having problems updating adobe reader and saw this post so now have uninstalled Adobe and downloaded/installed "Foxit Viewer"

Thanx again

:thumbsup: :flowers:
WIN XP SP3 - IE Ver.8
Realtime: Nod32(v4), Online Armor(v3.0), Spyware Blaster
On Demand: MBAM, SAS, ERUNT, CCleaner, Panda AntiRootkit
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users