Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zone Alarm Firewall

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 kevlamh

kevlamh

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 29 December 2004 - 06:13 AM

Hi All!

Another post from Sunny SA :thumbsup:

I came across a rather stange problem hen trying to install the latest version of Zone Alarm on my PC.

Background:

I am running F-Secure 5.4 on my PC (I do a lot of work from home for my employer, and they insist that I use it!!) with all the latest bells and whistles loaded, and when I try to install ZA, I receive a box stating that the installer has detected F-Secure and cannot load due to "Conflicts".

It seems that if I purchase ZA Pro, this will not happen!?!?!?

Can you please advise, as I would very much like to use this firewall!

BTW, I am presently using Agnitum's Outpost Free, but it does not have any updates available for the ad blocking feature.

Thanks,

And best wishes for the New Year.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 29 December 2004 - 07:24 AM

That F-Secure 5.4 is much more than an anti-virus program. It seems to provide a secure connection to a remote host (your employer?) Because of that feature you probably shouldn't try to interfere by using another firewall. I'm skeptical that ZA Pro would work either. ZA has pretty good email support. Suggest you go to the ZA site (support area) and pose your question to them.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 kevlamh

kevlamh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 07:42 AM

Thanks for that!!

I am using Xp Home SP2 and don't want to use the built in firewall. As I said, I am using the Agnitum product, but no upgrades available for the free prog. As far as I am aware ZA does provide updates for criticals and would like to have that functionality.

F-Secure does have a firewall as an add-on, I have tried it. The only problem is that it seems to be more adapted to Corporate (i.e. IT pro's) use than for home use in that the rules setup is quite involved for a noob like myself, and I would prefer one (like outpost) that "learns" my preferences. As far as i can remember, ZA has this functionality as well !!!

All the best for the New Year.

Kev' :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 08:26 AM

The only problem is that it seems to be more adapted to Corporate (i.e. IT pro's) use than for home use in that the rules setup is quite involved for a noob like myself, and I would prefer one (like outpost) that "learns" my preferences. As far as i can remember, ZA has this functionality as well !!!

I would imagine that it is a complicated firewall. Seems like the company that you work for is very security conscious.

ZA will ask for levels of permission that you can set as each of your programs tries to access the internet. The only update that I was ever offered from ZA was a free trial of the pay version.

If I was in your position I would just let it be, especially if that computer is supplied by your employer. Many companies consider the introduction of a virus or other security compromise to be a firing offense due in part to the costs associated with downtime, software repairs etc.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 10:00 AM

I suggest you look at Sygate Personal Firewall.
Its also free,and learns the same way ZA does.I started having problems with ZA when it went to version 5 so i switched to SPF and have had no problems.

http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#6 kevlamh

kevlamh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 12:15 PM

Thanks guys,

RAW a question - can I install the Sygate FW while Outpost is still active, or should I shut it down, install Sygate, UN-install Outpost and carry on? Secondly, does Sygate have the "ad-blocking" function that Outpost does; The Sygate website doesn't indicate this.

Actually, on second thoughts, do I need that function if I have Spywareguard installed?

Thanks again,

Kev'
Posted Image

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 01:59 PM

Whilel you can have more than one firewall installed on your computer, you should only have ONE of these running at any time to avoid operating system conflicts. I would, after comparing the two, make a decision and uninstall the one you do not like.
Sygate is a firewall, and not a universal application; it is not designed to stop Popups. If Spyware Guard stops popups you do not need a redundant program wasting CPU to accomplish the same thing. The more elegant method of stopping popups is to install and use one of the Mozilla browsers since it adds additional layers of security to your system (it avoids ActiveX, for example, and is NOT tied into your OS).
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 kevlamh

kevlamh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2004 - 12:30 AM

Hi jgweed,

Thanks for that!

I am already using Firefox 1 as my default browser and what you are saying makes sense. I will dl Sygate this evening and see what it does! Maybe using Outpost IS using too many resources because of the ad blocking, and causing my PC to slow down when I'm on the www. :thumbsup:
humbs All The Best (or as we say here in SA "alles van die beste")

Regards
Kev'
Posted Image

#9 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 30 December 2004 - 12:53 AM

I'm just a harmony voice, kevlamh. I had zone alarm, had some problems despite having read thoroughly & understood 85% of the manual.
I run winXP pro. SP2.
I use Sygate and like it.
I use Firefox and don't have popups.
I use Java more than ActiveX.
In fact I periodically clean out my activeX downloads,
which have been primarily for online scans,
and reload 'em if I want them again.

I use a dialup connection, and speed is OK.
Some have noted it is about what they get outta cable.
(I disagree regarding downloads, but daily stuff I'm satisfied for the most part with).

My first line of defense is Spybot's Tea Timer feature.
I always know when a registry change is being requested by ANYTHING.

And Sygate's feature of allow or deny access when I
do something that triggers it is nice & predicable.

I runs unobtrusively in the tray with just the
TeaTimer & AVG anti-virus along side of it.

System resource use is moderate, less than ZA by a little bit.

Anything else that runs I use the start menu for if/when I need it.

F-Secure sounds like a good stable program.

All the ones I've mentioned seem to be, also.

I've tried a lot more...

Edited by phawgg, 30 December 2004 - 12:54 AM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#10 kevlamh

kevlamh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2004 - 03:28 AM

Hi Phawgg,

I have taken note of your comments and will be downloading the Sygate FW tonight, and have had a look at Grisoft's Free AVG. I have The Teatimer running, and have had quite a few alerts from it, albeit ones that I expected. I also have Spybot and Adaware (fully updated - I check every other night) and use them regularly!!

I submitted a HJT log in the HJT forum, and Grinler said that it was clear, so my precautions are working!! :thumbsup:

Altho I have looked at Grisoft, I think I will retain F-Secure 5.4 as my employer is providing all the virus signature updates for me at no cost!!

Many thanks for all the feedback Guys,

Regards,
Kev'

#11 kevlamh

kevlamh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2004 - 01:58 AM

'Lo again all,

Strange things are happening :thumbsup: . When I intalled the Sygate FW and rebooted as required, I kept on getting the Doctor Watson box stating that Sygate had encountered a problem and will shut down etc. I removed Outpost before I installed Sygate, so I don't think that this should be the problem. (using Win Xp home SP2). I also sent the problem to MS, but have not as yet received any feedback

Any suggestions? Maybe I should submit a HJT log??

Thanks in advance

Kev'

Edited by kevlamh, 31 December 2004 - 02:00 AM.

Posted Image

#12 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2005 - 05:47 PM

Any suggestions? Maybe I should submit a HJT log??

It wouldn't to.
I'd be curious as to what the answer is and a HJT log might help. :thumbsup:

#13 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2005 - 06:45 PM

Found this in the F-Secure Manual. "F-Secure Framework makes the installation and updating of the software a centralized task in which the end-user does not need to participate. By creating policies, the administrator can lock down the user settings to best suit the needs of the organization."

Can you get into the Administraters Console of F-Secure?

#14 kevlamh

kevlamh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2005 - 02:05 AM

Hi all,

Leurgy, I am running a standalone F-Secure 5.4, with updates passed on to me via e-mail from the company's IT Admin, so I don't think that I have access to the Admin Console. All I do is use the update file to do the sig. updates.

I have tried to use the Backweb supplied by F-secure, but it plays havoc with my system, and I have uninstalled it.

Anyway, I have uninstalled the Sygate FW and am using Outpost again, but I have disabled the ad plugin as I am using Spyblaster. This has improved my system speed by about 20%, so I am going to stay with Outpost.

Guys, Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions, I really appreciate it and am learning all the time :thumbsup:

Best wishes for the New Year

Kev'

P.S.

Phawgg, I will be submitting a HJT Log tonight - think this will shed some light - maybe - huh?

Edited by kevlamh, 03 January 2005 - 02:07 AM.

Posted Image

#15 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2005 - 02:17 AM

It usually helps, kevlamh.

HJT is an enumerator program.
It puts the "spotlight" on some areas of the PC that
typically show changes brought about by various CRAP files.

It will not give us "the answer". automatically.
It will throw a light on the subject, and we can usually
rule out malware if it shows clean.

Not in all cases, but "enumeration" = "illumination".
"illumination" can often lead to "elimination".

Elimination of malware, or elimination of that being
the likely cause of the symptoms so we can move
in a different direction to try and solve the puzzle
that is present.

Heck, half of all we do would be a puzzle with no
solution if we didn't at least try to figure these things that
happen using windows & a variety of software on it. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users