Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speedtouch 330 Modem Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 miffy

miffy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:54 AM

Help required desperately please... :thumbsup:
Windows XP, SP2, Avast AV, Broadband Speedtouch 330 modem (had this for 2 years).

Been without internet access for 9 days now. System ok then took a long time to open pages. Closed down internet, tried to re-connect, but couldn't. Since then we get error code 0680 no dial tone.

Sick to death of phoning Orange (ISP). Usual procedure to follow - check filters, connections etc, re-installed CD, had several line tests done, nothing found. Eventually Orange decided to send us a new modem. Installed new CD but we still have the same problem unfortunately.

After several more line tests via ISP, I phoned BT independently yesterday. They checked the line and phoned this morning to say the line was ok.

Where do we go from here - can anyone help please? Any suggestions welcome.

(Using PC at work at the moment)

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 20 December 2006 - 02:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:18 AM

Found this from another forum. may help.
Quote: "As someone who has been a broadband tech you're going to have to try it straight into the main socket.

There are 2 reasons you may be getting no dialtone

1) There is a problem with the broadband service
2) Something in the house is causing the problem.

To be perfectly honest most Error 680s are caused by something in the house. This can include unfiltered devices plugged into telephone sockets, internal wiring, flashing xmas tree lights (dont laugh this does happen) and extension cables.

I would say that the most common are having unfiltered skyboxes plugged in or extension leads.

Most extension leads are either too poor quality or too long to enable your modem to pick up the adsl signal.

It is for this reason that you MUST try plugging directly into the main socket. If this means setting your PC up downstairs then this is necessary. I

Any extension cable longer than 3m can give you this sort of error"

Also worth checking, if modem is connected via USB, make sure the modem is connected directly to a USB port on your PC, NOT through an external USB hub.

If possible, connect modem to PC via an ethernet network card if the modem has an ethernet port. Much more reliable than USB for networking, and ethernet doesn't need a device driver for the modem.

#3 Redback

Redback

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 01:05 PM

This is very likely caused by something else on the line inside the house. You can disconnect all extensions by removing part of the main (master) socket. The master socket is made up of 2 face plates. remove the two screws and pull the faceplate off, you will find it pluged into another BT socket, this has removed all extensions (if it was wired up correctly). Now plug your filter into the inner socket and your router/modem into the filter and test your connection. If things have now improved you have an extension in the house causing the problem. If things don't improve the fault is upstream of your master socket and so the responsibility of the tel co.

I had a problem once. The phone was fine, broadband was dodgy. This technique identified that my wife had damaged the cable outside the house when she was cutting the hedge.

#4 miffy

miffy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2006 - 05:10 AM

Thanks for the replies.
I've since discovered that 2 other people (who live within 3 miles of my house) are also having trouble connecting to the internet supplied by Orange.
I'm beginning to think the problem is not just mine.... :thumbsup:

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 23 December 2006 - 05:13 AM

Could be a poor connection in the line - happened to a couple of my neighbors when a poor splice wasn't sealed properly and got wet. Maybe you can call 'em and have them check the line?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users