Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Motherboard And Processor Need To Reinstall Xp?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 quayhouse

quayhouse

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 05:22 AM

Hi

I am very new to this kind of thing and my pc skills are limited here goes! i took my sons pc to a computer fair yesterday for new graphics card as it was playing up. As it had old motherboard etc i was told upgrading with new motherboard and processor would be necessary as it was on its way out.
we did this and also had a new case with him using what bits he could from old pc and when he finally put them in he told me i'd need to reinstall windows and then the driver disc for motherboard.
i have tried to do it this morning setting pc to boot from cd drive as primary and hdd as secondary. When i restart it wont boot up from disc jus makes sounds as tho the drive is workingetc. if i dont select anything it will reboot and the message says cannot load windows missing dll for kernel or something like that.
I have called the guy who did it but he wants me to pay him 25 as he says that as he had to remove hdd from old case to new one i need to reformat the drive and to select first boot as cd and second as hdd i have done this but i get a blank screen with flashing cursor and cannot enter anything and xp cd still does not boot up.
is it me am i doing something wrong as i cannot get the xp disc to load automatically or has he done something wrong with installing new bits? its my sons pc and he breaks up for xmas today and he will do my head in if i cant get it to work as hes an avid wow player! hope i made sense if i missed any details let me know thanks in advance

Edited by quayhouse, 20 December 2006 - 08:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:47 AM

The easiest test here would be to download a bootable CD of some sort on another PC - and then try it in the CD drive on this PC. That will tell you if it's the CD or the drive itself.

Here's a link to a free memory tester that can be burnt to a CD and will boot from itself: http://www.memtest86.com/

Then, here's a free tool to burn the ISO file to the CD: http://www.silentnight2004.com/microburner.html

You'll have to select the ISO CD/DVD option to burn the CD - otherwise it won't be bootable.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 quayhouse

quayhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:28 AM

Hi usasma
many thanks for your reply. i have tried what you suggested and the pc says booting from cd then i get message saying windows could not start successfully could be due to recent hardware or software changes then gives me options for safe mode etc or last good know config? im tearin my hair out now do you know why it is giving me the message?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:57 AM

Try the CD in another computer to make sure that it boots from it there. If it does, then I'd expect your CD drive may be at fault (although there are many other reasons for this).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 quayhouse

quayhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 11:58 AM

thanks it was now using other drive and can boot from that many thanks for uour help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users