Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall Detected My Computer Being Scanned

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Krassotti

Krassotti

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 04:22 AM

Hey guys,

I've never had a firewall until recently when I came across this site.

I use the Sygate Personal Firewall (free) and when I woke up this morning, I saw the following in my log viewer.

http://www.circlenoir.com/forums/showthrea...p=5311#post5311

Is there anything I need to do or is there nothing to worry about?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 02:15 PM

Port scans are normal and should not be a cause to worry, especially with a firewall such as Sygate, since the scan will not even detect your computer's existence (Sygate blocked it).
If you are curious, you can have Sygate back scan to trace the scan to the originator, and then use the "whois" function to tell you who was doing the scan.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Krassotti

Krassotti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 21 December 2006 - 04:50 AM

Hey,

thanks for the reply.

I did some research on my own and figured out that it's no cause for concern. I had some website test my firewall and everything came up as stealth (except port 59 which is used by mIRC on my machine, shouldn't be an issue?)

The weird thing is that the backtracing almost never works for me. It just times out and tells me that it can't find the origin (90% of the time).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users