Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Won't Boot Up. Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Healingbear

Healingbear

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 01:06 AM

I'm running an AMD Athlon XP 1600+ with Windows XP Pro. I have 2 hard drives (say HD1 and HD2) and 2 CDROM drives.

One day HD1 refused to boot up to completion. It got to the windows welcome screen then returned to a complete boot up. All attempts to get past this point had the same results (i.e. last known config, safe mode, command prompt).

I reformatted HD2 and reinstalled Windows XP making that the new master. I set up HD1 (bad) as a slave and got the exact same result (welcome screen then reboot).

Next I booted up Knoppix Live CD and was able to visualize all the data on the bad drive but obviously could not copy that data over to the new drive as Knoppix is unable to write to NTFS drives (as far as I know).

I even tried booting up with the bad drive as both master and slave on the IDE2 cable with the same results.

Have I lost all this data or is there help for me? (I've thought about using knoppix to copy to a 256mb flash drive but the volume of the bad drive (160gb) seems prohibitive. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 05:37 AM

My guess is the fault is not with either of the hard disks at all but some other vital component, though you should be getting a series of POST beeps during boot up which can be used to help diagnose what component is faulty. With most computers, a single beep means 'All OK', but a series of beeps means some hardware fault. Are you getting these beeps?

Just one thing in case I'm wrong and HD1 is indeed corrupted. When you installed XP onto HD2 and switched over the master/slave configurations of each HD, did you leave the IDE connections as they were, with the 'bad' drive still connected to IDE0 ? If you did, then you need to go into the BIOS setup to change the first boot device from IDE0 to IDE1, otherwise the system will still be trying to boot from the original 'bad' drive (unless you were presented with a dual-boot menu at start-up). I think my reasoning is sound, isn't it?

Edited by pip22, 20 December 2006 - 05:53 AM.

#3 Healingbear

Healingbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 01:18 PM

Thanks for the input and reply. It is definately a hard drive issue as I have no POST beeps and a completely normal boot up as long as the offending drive is NOT connected to the system in any way. The BIOS is correct as it autodetects correctly (even WITH the offending drive). It's not until the after the splash screen and before the welcome screen that it auto-reboots. Any other ideas? Thanks again...

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 03:08 PM

If your bad hd has nothing on it except the os, repartition and reformat it, then try to reinstall your os. If the same problem happens, your hd is probably bad.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 23 December 2006 - 04:54 AM

I'd purchase another hard drive for the backup data and use it to transfer the data using Knoppix. Would cost a lot less than most other solutions.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users